Closed

Discussion in 'Clams' started by kimberlee, Mar 28, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kimberlee

kimberlee Flamingo Tongue

My clam has not opened today, and this is not normal. It has opened everyday since I brought him home. I did put my WC off a couple days, but I checked all my parameters an hour ago, and all are stable. the mantal and foot are retracted into the shell.

Any ideas? This is really stressing me out.

2. Click Here!

3. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

How long have you had this clam?

can you post a picture? if not what type of clam is it?

what other critters do you have?

what are your water temps?

clams are very picky about nitrate and nitrite levels, do have any numbers for us?

I would like to help If I can.

4. Atticus818

Atticus818 Eyelash Blennie

Could be early signs of pinched mantle, has anything been picking at it? What other tank inhabitants do you have?

5. kimberlee

I've had the clam about three weeks, it's a Deresa, I already kicked a blenny out of my tank who was picking on him. That was 2 days after he was introduced to the tank.

Nitrates are 0 phosphates and ammonia are the same. temp 81 sg 1.025

I have a coral beauty and 2 baby clowns a lot of coral hermit crabs and snails, outside of a couple of coral which are no where near it the only change was I fraged some mushrooms, I ran carbon though as a precaution.

Please help.

should add that everything I have brought home from this store has died for unexplained reasons. My tank has been stable for months and I had planed to add my sump today.

Should also mention I set the clam up right every day, I suspected he was being knocked over by hermit crabs.

[​IMG]

6. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

i don't know what's wrong with it :(

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Coral beauties can become clam nippers, something to consider. The angel also likes to pick at algae and pods on the shell, even if it's not nipping at the mantel the stress will cause the clam to remain closed and lead to it's demise.

Also have you checked the base for pyramid snails. During the lighting period they can be found around the base and foot, at night they are at the edges of the shell where the mantel and the shell come together. They resemble a grain of rice in appearance.

8. Click Here!

9. alpha_03

Ditto- coral beasties can really cause clams problems I had one kill a crocea.

Also, certain crabs can get a bit over zelous with their cleaning methods, after all- clams taste good.

Prymid snails can be a problem also, but usually not over night.

My money is on the fishes, (given good water quality and temps) any non-reef safe fish will go after clams.

10. alpha_03

opps, I didnt catch that line- deressa prefer strong attinic lighting, and on the bottom.

Lighting type and amount? The one for sure thing I can advise- take the clam to a known good clam holding tank (your LFS) and see what happens- then you will know if it's you or the clam.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  11. kimberlee

2 54 watt actinics 2 54 watt suns T-5's on sand bed always has been

12. alpha_03

if it's a 55 gallon typical depth tank that should be fine. I personally feel you should take the clam to your LFS and see what happens, then you will be more able to undertsnd what the problem could be. plus I would hate to see you loose such a beuatiful critter.