Closed Duncan

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Crewsers, Aug 9, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Crewsers

Crewsers Plankton

Hi all,
    I've had a Duncan coral in my 65g for about 2 mo now. He opened up immediately as soon as I had put him in, but for the last 2 weeks he's been completely closed up - doesn't seem to ever open. I originally placed him on the bottom the tank in indirect light, and low flow. When I first noticed him closed for about 3 days, I moved him up about 3 inches and in more direct light. Since he never opened and almost looks worse, I moved him back down to the sand again. Is there anything I can do for him?
    Ammonia is at 0, nitrites=0, and nitrates=40 (I know a little high - I'm working on it) My Xenia is doing great, which is much less hardy than a Duncan, so I don't think the nitrates are the problem.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Mine did the same thing... Mine gets a ton of light and low flow... Give them time.. They will open.. Do you have any shrimp that would mess with it????

4. Crewsers

Crewsers Plankton

no, no shrimp - just a few hermits that don't seem to bother it. I do have 3 tiny urchins that I did see try and pick up the rock he's glues to about 3 weeks ago - but I haven't seem them bother it in a while. The only other think in the tank at the moment are mushrooms, no where near the duncan.

5. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Mine did do the same thing.. I kinda think they do it when they are sprouting a new head JMO.. Here's a pic of mine...

[​IMG]

6. Crewsers

Crewsers Plankton

From what I've read, closing up for a few days (2-4) seems to be normal, but mine has been closed for almost 2 weeks now... Seems a little long to me....

7. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Time will tell.... I think they'll open.. I've had mine close up for over a week almost 2......

8. Click Here!

9. silverwolf72

silverwolf72 Skunk Shrimp

Hows your alk and PH?

10. target001

target001 Skunk Shrimp

keep an eye on yer hermits mne used to go nuts on my old duncan and eventually killed it but only when the lights were off and late at night

11. ptgestimator

ptgestimator Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Mine is on the sand but is in medium flow. It has sprouted 3 new heads in 2 months with out ever closing other than during the night cycle. Do you target feed it and with what? Mine LOVES silversides.

12. silverwolf72

silverwolf72 Skunk Shrimp

My nitrates range from 10 to 40 and in a 3 month I have gone from 5 heads to 12. Hes under 4xT5 about half up gets an occasional gust of flow. only seen him close up for a day like 3 times. I feed them about every 2-3 weeks with a homemade seafood mix.