Clicking Noise?????

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Poppy828, Sep 17, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

Evening everyone. I have been hearing a clicking sound off and on the last 24 hours. I never have noticed it before. It sounds like tapping on the glass I guess is the best way to describe it. I at first thought it was a leak, but that was not it. And it is louder than a leak would be too. This noise is coming from my reef tank.

Any ideas on what this might be? I have not added anything new to the tank in quite sometime.

Thanks for your time.

Todd

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Mantis Shrimp or Pistol Shrimp ;D

Watch your hands in the tank.....mantis shrimp can hurt ya!

4. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

Just what my wife wants to hear.... :p

Do I need to remove this guy? I guess I have more reading to do now huh...LOL

I don't want to wake up one morning and see some fish belly up due to a Mantis being bored or hungry. I am assuming these guys hide in the holes of the live rock? Why have I not heard him before this?

Thanks Birdlady for the quick response.

T

5. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

6. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

Yes I have Live rock. 90lbs in my 46G. It's Figi and was cured for over a month before putting it into my tank. I got it from a LFS 50 miles North of me for $4.50lb.

7. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

You probably have not heard of them before cause you have only been doing this for 6 weeks!! LOL ;D ;D ;D ;D

Not only do they live in holes in the live rock....they actually MAKE holes in the LR......You will probably need to move him as they can eat fish...but ....JohnO is leaving his in the tank...

check his thread...
    http://www.3reef.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=General;action=display;num=1094169625

Amcarrig keeps hers in a separate tank....

YOU NEED TO AVOID GRABBING IT...USE A TRAP!!!!! Read the above article.... ;D

8. Click Here!

9. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

I was reading the first link you sent. I have no idea where this guy is so it will be difficult to catch him if in fact it is a Mantis. I guess gloves don't help with this guy huh?? LOL

T

10. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I don't think the gloves would help.....no....

[smiley=worried2.gif]

I think some kind of trap would be your best bet. Good luck and be careful. Some LFS will take them as there is currently an interest in keeping them as separate pets now....OR, you could set up another tank!!!!! ;)

11. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

I am doing a 75g right now...it's in the cycling process of course. It was going to be a FOWLR tank....I may turn it into a reef tank also though. He would do fine in the new tank since nothing is in it but LR and sand so far. And maybe some Ammonia.....

T

12. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Isn't that funny that he has been quiet and unseen all this time?! I love just looking in my tank and fuge....I only have rocks, sand, and one dottyback...couple of hermits..but I always am finding new critters and such.

There is what I thought was a worm but turns out it is a little piece off of a brittle star in my tank. It has no central disc or mouth ....yet...it picks up food and appears to eat it! I can't wait to see if it actually grows into another star!!!!