Clear Up

Discussion in 'DrTim's Aquatics' started by cpurvis, Jul 12, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cpurvis

cpurvis Plankton

Can/will clear up make my water more cloudy? Is that part of it clearing the water by floculating? If it makes the water more cloudy does that mean the cloudy water was a bacteria bloom to begin with?

2. Click Here!

3. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

My experience has been that chemicals will not make your water more clear. Try a water change, feeding less and maybe a refugium or a skimmer

4. DrTim

DrTim 3reef Sponsor

Yes, this biological (clear-up is not a chemical - tim.n.day) can make your water hazy at first because of the flocing action. You need some sort of filter to remove the larger particles caused by the flocculation. It can be hard to tell where you have a bacterial bloom or just flocculation but if your skimmate is not changing color/smell/output then you probably don't have a bacterial bloom.

5. cpurvis

cpurvis Plankton

Thanks Dr. Tim. I have filter bags, carbon, and skimmer running. I'm running bio pellets, but I'm assuming that isn't going to cause an issue.

6. cpurvis

cpurvis Plankton

It's already clearing up quite a bit. I'd say maybe 2 hours of some pretty extreme cloudy and now it looks about even with it looked before I used the product. Hopefully the next 2 hours will make it even better.