clear for life acrylic 60 gallon cube

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by crazy reef love, Oct 19, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. crazy reef love

crazy reef love Skunk Shrimp

I am looking at upgrading to a bigger tank, I was looking for a cube style tank, and I found this tank. I couldn't find anything else that wasn't under a 100 gallons that was a cube style. My initial idea is to have the 60 gallon show tank with a 25 gallon sump. They cheapest place I found the 60 for was 500 dollars. is it worth this much or should i go look for a different tank thats less expensive. I'm really aiming towards acrylic. Let me know what you guys think. It was going to be a sps reef tank, should i go bigger or would a 85 gallon total system be a good start. I have been in the hobby for 3 years now, and i just wanna get a bigger tank now, Im 16 and in school so money is limited, i just want some suggestions on what i should do.

2. Click Here!

3. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

For a large acrylic cube I think your efforts would be better placed researching the technique to build one yourself. You could most likely get a much larger cube for cheaper.

4. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

I notice you have a 55g tank now. Moving up to a 60g tank may not keep you happy too long. Yes it takes money and I would wait until you can afford maybe a 120g or 125g or bigger. I can speak from experience although my situation with money is different so you can keep that in mind.
    Last year I spent about 6 months reading up on reefs (books, web blogs and going to the LFS everyday) I learned from the staff during the slow times and I learned from their customers when they were too busy. I explored all avenues and went on craigslist and found a used 65g acrylic tank. I went over to see it and the owner was quite the enthusiast as he had a fish only 110g in his living room and a flat back hex 140g Living Color brand acrylic tank with hydralic lifts for the canopy. My impression of him was good. Then he showed me the 65g tank and it turned out to be a penninsula tank and it had a few scratches which happens with acrylic and something to consider. It had a blue acrylic side with an overflow and an internal channel in the middle of the overflow so you could send all the lighting wires through there so they weren't out to be seen. The sump was not what I was looking for but I figured it would do for now. I set it up in October.
    I bought a new sump for it cleaned it up and put corals and fish in and quickly I realized that the fish and coral are getting bigger! Soooo in January I moved up to a 120g All Glass with dual overflows and a sump/refugium and protein skimmer all designed for a 300 gal tank. It was then that I realized that I hadn't attained my inner goal so I started adding live Florida cultured rock and especially shelf type rocks. My fish barely had room to swim as I planned to move up to a 180 gal tank. Well my new friend that sold me the 65g tank said to me when I brought up the idea of either a 180 or a 210 tank. "Why not go for the more volume of water". It will keep stable better and give the fish room to swim. My selection of fish was like "the Living Seas" so I agreed and it was to be done in April!
    My three tanks are pictured here so you can see how they look. So before you put yourself in a situation where you have to break down a tank and move sand, rock, corals, fish, sump and lights and water give considerable thought to waiting until it's worth the move. Just my opinion..:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009