Clear coating Reef Ornaments/ Fish Safe

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by 7of8Zab, Jul 11, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 7of8Zab

7of8Zab Plankton

I apologize in advance if I posted this item to the wrong forum but it does have to do with water quality. I just received several Artificially colored/dyed starfish. I'm not sure if they were real or alive at one time. I apologize if they were( I'm not sure if they were cast or dried) as the relatives who gave them to me are or were unaware how bad/destructive that really is to the reef environment. They know now. My dilemma is how do I now make them fish safe ? What can I use for clear coating them so they don't leach into my water ? I really don't want to discard them as that would add injury to insult. I have informed them not to patronize establishments that traffic in these items. They were purchased somewhere in Key West so I suspect that they were alive, dried and dyed. I'd appreciate any insight on how to clear coat them to make them fish safe. Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Don't bother, unless you know what they were coated with.

Are you willing to risk your fish tank for dried and dyed starfish?

I would not even think about it unless you knew they came from a distributor that sells artificial corals and inverts, reef safe.

Welcome though. :)

Vinnyboombatz, Billme and Mr. Bill like this.
  4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid