Cleanup crew suggestions

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Heather Carver, Apr 16, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Heather Carver

Heather Carver Astrea Snail

Hi Everyone!
    I have a 75 gallon tank. As of right now I have:
    *black egded snowflake clownfish
    *snowflake clownfish
    *six line wrasse
    *yellow tang
    *3 small hermit crabs
    *fire shrimp
    *lawnmower blenney
    *bubble tip anenome
    I'm looking to add more of a clean up crew. The fire shrimp, hermit crabs, and lawnmower blenney aren't enough. What are your suggestions for a good cleanup crew for my tank? Please let me know!

2. Click Here!

3. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

What are you trying to clean up?

4. Heather Carver

Heather Carver Astrea Snail

5. subzero3z

subzero3z Astrea Snail

I would get way more Hermits, I have a 29 Biocube with ten hermits in it. If you have had the setup for awhile then I would recommend getting a Tuxedo Urchin and maybe a Linkia for algae, but it if you are okay with mollusks (I'm not) then get some snails and maybe a slug.

6. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

CUC's are a bandaid imo/e.The problem is nutrients and the answer is not more animals.Most die eventually of starvation especially in a nano tank.Its an endless cycle.You get algae,buy more ciritters,they don't remove it all and whats left is not enough/or the right kind to sustain them,they die,add nutrients ,you add more. Know of course I am not saying cuc's are bad or unecessary but imo people sometimes add far too many;(at subz -remember a 29 gallon aquarium is not holding 29 gallons of water to begin with.)True herbivores do not fall into the worst of dirty tank offenders so you can add them but in very small numbers.Start off with a few and see how long they live without additional foods added.(besides what you are already feeding) I love nerites and Fl. ceriths.Just beware Nerites are intertidal and will escape rimless tanks.
    Mixing crabs and snails can also be very risky as crabs (omnivores)are highly opportunistic and can and will kill snails; to eat, for the shell, or both.
    If there is any corals or lr in the system all the cuc you will ever need is already there in the form of pods,micro bristles,bristleworms,etc. , etc.There population will self regulate with the food available.

Choosing wisely of course always helps.:)
    Research everything before purchasing!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
    Mr. Bill, subzero3z and mdbostwick like this.
  7. subzero3z

subzero3z Astrea Snail

Thanks for the advice, right now in my tank I have ten hermits, a blue fin damsle and a bar goby.

8. Click Here!

9. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

+1 110%

Our little glass boxes cannot contain all the natural water scrubbing properties of the ocean, so we must compensate with mechanical and chemical filters, and routine maintenance. Period.

Vinnyboombatz likes this.