Cleaning

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by oceansurf, Dec 1, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oceansurf

oceansurf Purple Spiny Lobster

As many of you know, I have a discus tank. I have a question about cleaning. Twice a week I remove 1 / 10 of the water. I use only sponges for my filter media & I wash them each time in the disguarded water. I trim the dead off the plants & scrub the inside of the glass.

It is alot of work, but I like my tank &, if necessary, I will continue cleaning this way.

My question is, could I reduce this to once a week ?

Thanks,
    OceanSurf

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Oceansurf

yes , in my opinion once per week should be perfectly adequate to undertake the maintenance you describe above
    although you may want to clean the front glass more often so as to enhance your tank viewing pleasure

Steve

4. oceansurf

oceansurf Purple Spiny Lobster

Thanks Steve. Of all the people online, I find that you give the most direct , easily understood information. I guess that is why you are a moderator. You mentioned keeping the front glass clear so the fish could be seen well. Would this apply to all tanks. keep the front glass clean & not worry about the sides ?

5. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Would it be possible to put your discus tank on a drip system?

Just before I got into saltwater, I had a 125 with large adult piranhas on a drip. That was the end of water changes, nitrates were always zero, and the glass needed very little cleaning. That's saying a lot for messy fish.

This is the tank. The 55 sump tank had an overflow that dripped into a 55 gallon drum in the basement. That water was re-used for her garden.

[​IMG]

6. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

I will keep my hands out of that tank Barbianj?

IMO Ocean surf
    the glass is mostly algae related untidyness in freshwater
    so yes, on mine Ill algae magnet the front glass twice or more per week
    but probably dont worry about the sides for 2 or 3 weeks at a time

Steve