cleaning sand bed

Discussion in 'Sand' started by DSC reef, Sep 3, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Ok fellow reefers, I need some advice here. I'm at the point where I'm about done with having a sandbed altogether especially after going to my favorite fish store world wide corals. I love the look of montipora covering the bottom glass but I digress. Every week I do a 20 gallon water change on my 75 gallon reef tank with coral pro salt and dose calcium and alk frequently to keep up with my corals uptake. I sift my shallow sand bed during the change and let my filter grab most before I change the water. It's getting old to say the least. My pet peve is I hate my sand bed getting a brown covering halfway through the week and by sunday I start the same routine. I got the idea from WWC to sift the sand bed. Is it unrealistic to have a sand bed that doesn't have brown on top of it in some areas? To me it makes a tank look dirty. I've seen some awesome tanks In my years that were beyond healthy but when I saw the sand bed it ruined it for me. I know I'm very adhd with my husbandry and maybe I'm being unrealistic about my idea of how I want my tank. I won my fight with cyano and the tank is running strong for a year now with the rock and sand in it being from my other tank years ago. I have a habit of upgrading. Thanks for any help and ideas, you guys and gals rock.

2. Click Here!

3. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

how long is your lights on I had a problem with it I was running my lights 10 hours a day I cut it back to 7 full and 1 blue the brown went away the coral are ok with it

4. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I've tried cycling my schedule of lighting but within 5 hours I notice patches popping up. I can't add anymore flow but I'm starting to realize that going with no sandbed might be a better option

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

What are you CUC remembers?

6. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Try one or two conchs. I have one in my 60 cube and he seems to turn over the sand bed enough that it stays clean. Nice member of my clean up crew. That being said, I may go BB on my next build.

7. Bucsfan

Bucsfan Flamingo Tongue

What is a CUC?

8. Click Here!

9. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Clean up crew (snails, crabs, ect.)

10. Bucsfan

Bucsfan Flamingo Tongue

Got it. Thanks.

11. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I have two turbo snails and 2 astrea snails and 3 blue hermits.

12. SaltyClown

SaltyClown Sea Dragon

I have a 75 gal reef too. Here's what I do every week.

4 gallon water change using reef crystals.

And here's what most people don't like, every week I siphon the entire sand bed. Looks bright white every week all week and my fish and coals are doing great.

I know you're getting tired of your sand, but maybe you should try siphoning your sand.