Cleaning Glass and LPC

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by OldandNew, Dec 17, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. OldandNew

OldandNew Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Do LPCs, like Open Brains and Bubble corals, benefit from cleaning the glass shortly before turning out the lights?

My Open Brains and Bubble deflate and stick out their "paws" shortly after I turn out the lights. Do they catch the stuff that I scrub off the glass once a week prior to bed time and make use of it?

Is this the time I should feed them bits of fish/shrimp flesh every now and then?

Cheers,
    Ray

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

There are several LPS that feed at night...It could be the normal light cycle/feed response or the glass cleaning. Mine Lobophylia extends feeder tentacles whenever I add food to the tank...and then again, every night ;D :D Would not hurt to add a bit of coral food after lights out

4. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Yes LPS will feed on the microbacteria loosened by cleaning.

5. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

6. OldandNew

Right, LPS not LPC.

I have these moon lights in my lamp and I like to spend a bit of time in the evening watching the tank "in the dark." Every night, the 4 LPSs deflate and stick out the little "arms." Doesn't matter if I have cleaned the glass or not. I was just wondering if they received any benifit from the algae that clouds the water after a good glass cleaning. I figured if they did, that would then be a night I would NOT want to add any coral food to the tank.

My Modern has gone crazy of late. The base is maybe 2x3 inches, but during the day when it is opened up, it must be close to 6x9 inches.

Do LPS benefit from a bit of real food from time to time? Like a brine shrimp or a sliver of fresh fish? The Modern and Donut have a single mouth while the open brains seem to have 4. I have seen stuff exhausted from these "mouths" was wondering if they put real food in them.

7. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I do give my LPS's occasional bits of meaty foods....the Cynarina I just drop it on top of the mouth and it gobbles it right up, and the Lobophylia I squirt food into the center and the tentacles do the rest ;D

Here are a couple of threads in the same vein..the first one has pictures of LPS feeding which is cool

http://www.3reef.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=General;action=display;num=1101448511;start=7#7

http://www.3reef.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Coral;action=display;num=1101115607

;D

8. Click Here!

9. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Ray,
    My green open brain in the 20 long only opens up under low light conditions. I feed him about once a week with meaty foods. He likes it very much :8
    "I rarely see one open" under high light conditions. LPS are my favorites, I'm trying to get to like sps corals but they just don't have any personality. :D Have a good one.
    Jim

10. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Oooh, so I am not alone! I like the LPS as well! I do like one SPS, the Monti Caps...and am not brave enough to try one yet ;) But I love the LPS...ooohhh the colors!!!LOL

11. OldandNew

Diver_1298: My green Open Brain actually expands during the day, giving itself more area for the "photobio" dudes to do their thing. I would say that there is an expansion of a good half inch or more under the lights. After dark, it shrinks and little fingers come out.

birdlady: I like the LPSs a lot myself. I have quite the variety here to choose from. The problem is in keeping it real. I probably will not have the choices like I have right now the next time around, so I am enjoying it while I can.

Cheers,
    Ray

Cheers,
    Ray

12. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Hi Ray!

How are you holding up over there with the tsunamis? OK I hope! Hope to hear from you today. I am thinking about you and praying you are safe. :D

I get disappointed when people speak lowly of LPS...like you can't keep other things. I just like them the best!