Cleaner shrimp

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by extremeshocks87, Dec 14, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

Not to beat a dead horse, but is it possible your salinity reading is off? Have you checked the calibration on your refractometer (if you use one)? Or checked your hydrometer against another unit to see how it reads? I just checked my calibration on my refractometer and it was off by .002 after 2 months. Not a huge amount but every little bit helps.

Somewhat off topic but I just hang a small acclimation/specimen boxes on the inside of my sump so that the water in the container is under the water in the sump which I think should keep the water temp up and then drip into the container, that way you can easily keep the temp up and drip at the same time.

2. Click Here!

3. extremeshocks87

extremeshocks87 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I dont have a refractometer it should be under the tree i hope. But i will check tester Thanks for the acclimaton tip.

4. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

What kind of hydrometer do you have? Coralife hydrometers have been terrible in my experience but also the most common.

5. extremeshocks87

I have a instant ocean hydrometer.

6. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Sorry bout the loss... those aren't cheap.
    I have two cleaner shrimp... they've worked out well. I can't seem to keep a lawnmower blenny though. I've killed two.

7. Scubagator87

Scubagator87 Skunk Shrimp

i feel your pain, ive tried to keep a sixline three times in the past and they never made it more than a day, never figured out why so i decided to put that particular fish on the shelf, so to speak. I hope you can find the problem.

I would recommend bringing your water into the store and having them test for trace elements that might be out of sort (copper or iodine). Doing that and the other things mentioned here are the only things i can think of.

8. Click Here!

9. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

Actually, I made a typo. Its the instant ocean hydrometers that I have had bad luck with. If I were you I would throw it out and get a coralife hydrometer which I have and works great.

10. extremeshocks87

Ok i hope there is a refractometer under tree i will ask my girl friend ha ha maybe i can get it early. If not will will just have to get one my selfor for her ( ya rite). I will take my water to get it tested for iodine. Thanks everyone for helping!!

11. hitman35

hitman35 Purple Spiny Lobster

I have had 2 cleaner shrimp the first one went fast because i was new with my tank and didnt acclimate him the right way. I got the second one and learned the drip method I acclimated it for about 45 min to an hour simply because i knew they were sensitive creatures.An that guy lived about 4 to 5 months probably would still be alive but at the time me and my girlfriend had invested in dirtbikes and well needless to say my priorities went else were but now that they are back on my tank i will be getting another soon.Definatley monitor the salinity and temp levels those guys dont take very well to big adjustments

12. extremeshocks87

Thanks hitman i will do that on my next one, its going to be a while before i try another one.