Cleaner shrimp

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by extremeshocks87, Dec 14, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Are they eating? Do you have a grounding probe?

2. Click Here!

3. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

If the tank was used I would run some Seachem CupriSorb in the system somewhere just in case the previous owner had problems with minerals in the water.

4. extremeshocks87

extremeshocks87 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I dont have a ground probe thats a good idea i will get one this week its a great to have. The shrimp eats when its alive and one even started to clean my hippo in three minutes.The tank i bought new.I have a emperor 400 that i run 4 filters in thats all the carbon that i run. As for iodine I will stop adding it. It just dont make since i feel like an idiot. Thanks everyone for your help !!!!!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  5. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Definitely get a grounding probe. One of the cheapest, yet best forms of insurance for your tank IMO. I don't think it was the hermits, but what else do you have in your tank?

6. extremeshocks87

I really dont have anything else in my tank just the hippo a clown and algee pack like 20 crabs snails nothing large. I am starting to add some coral i have a Hammer coral and thats about it. My fish and coral are really nice ( I think anyway). Thanks again

7. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

What type of crabs? Are they all hermits?

8. Click Here!

9. extremeshocks87

I have 7 scarlet reef hermit crabs, 15 red tip hermit crabs and 7 cerith snails.

10. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

What is your salinity at, and what is the salinity of the source/shipping water?

When you drip acclimated them how long did you do it for?

I know some people seem not to drip for very long and have success but I've read that dripping very slowly for a long time can help relieve osmotic shock if the difference between your salinity and the salinity of the shipping/source water are different. The more the difference in salinity the longer the acclimation will take. Also I believe shrimps/crabs etc are more susceptible to osmotic shock because they have exoskeletons and they have a harder time adjusting to changes in salinity, but they are pretty hardy little critters so usually you might not notice it.

Just a thought, maybe something to try.

11. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

If the salinity is way off - you'll have to drip for a long while. But then the temp will get way off. So have you tried floating, then dripping, float again, then drip some more, etc.?

12. extremeshocks87

Peredhil and screwtape thanks every much for trying to help. My salinity is 1.024. My first shrimp i dripped for a half hour than floated till the temps were the same. My second one i justed floated. The salinity that my lfs has is also 1.024 thats the first thing i asked him and we both use the same salt. Its so crazy because something has to be way off these things dont even make it a day. I am going to go get a ground probe tonight but wouldent my fish get stressed also if it was a ground problem ? THANKS EVERYONE.