Cleaner Shrimp

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Bruce, Jan 10, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Hello all, i have three cleaner shrimp...i wanted to know, is there a real limit to how many you can keep? as you know, i have a 55 gal reef...and i just love the cleaner shrimp, i wanted to know if i could maybe get 2 more? already the 2 new ones are chillen with the old guy...its just so facinating to me :)

2. Click Here!

3. mannyhernz

mannyhernz Fire Worm

well what i have seen in most tanks ive seen more than 3 shrimp...as a matter of fact the guy i bought the xenia from had 5 cleaner (skunk) shrimp...only thing was he said that they spawn every month...(food for corals????)

4. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

really? thats awsome...sometimes my hermits spawn, and if my cleaners do that would be good for my corals :) thanks

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

There really is no limit as to how many shrimp you can keep. If there was a limit to be set the shrimp would set it themselves :)

6. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

hmm ic...executions eh? well i might get some more :)

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Ayup, you guessed it ;)

8. Click Here!

9. JeridJohnson

JeridJohnson Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

cleaner shrimp are awesome.. I have one that is fearless.. It will jump on my arm and start picking (at who knows what) when I have it in the tank. It's actually a bit unnerving at how agressive it is.. Mine thinks its the king of the tank perched on the highest rock.

10. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

How about mixing cleaners with a Coral Banded shrimp? I did the spur of the moment "that guy is too cool" buying thing on Sunday and now have a CB. I know that unless they are a mated pair, CBs will fight, but I'm not sure if he will play well with others.

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

They usually don't play well with other shrimp so keep an eye on the little bugger :)

12. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

you can have more then 2 cleaners also another way they are good for the tank is they reproduce often and at night when they do have the babies your fish have a free feast and go into a feeding frenzy i noticed this in my tank also cleaners work well with blood shrimp but i would not go with other types of shrimp other then that