Unresolved Cleaner Shrimp with parasite

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Seano Hermano, Sep 30, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Foreverfishy

Foreverfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

Seano what LFS do you go too?

2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

It's a Pet Supplies Plus. Their stock looks pretty goosfrom what I could tell.

The only other store near by is Jack's Aquarium and Pets.

4. Seano Hermano

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I was thinking it might be an isopod but the color is wrong. Also you would see the segments of there bodies. From your pic it looks the same color as the shrimp. Can you confirm this?Wow that is a huge bump. Probably the largest I have seen.

6. Seano Hermano

It's the size of his hole side...goes from the top (height) of the carapace, almost down to his leg. That's the best picture I could get. But I could see myself, that the body of the parasite is segmented like plates, similar to an isopod. The color looks very yellow. That is because the shrimp's skin (the part they would molt) seems to have grown around the parasite (isopod?), which explains the color. The actual object is not as yellow as the shrimp color. It's lighter.

1 person likes this.
  7. Vinnyboombatz

The type of isopod that attacks shrimp is called a Bopyrid Isopod. I am looking for a link that shows how to remove it.8)

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

2 people like this.
  10. Seano Hermano

Thanks for the link. That's exactly it. below the picture, it tells what to do to remove it, and how.

Removal of a bopryd should be done using a pair fine tweezers in a medium bowl of water (which should be discarded afterward). The bowl should be small enough to easily work in, but large enough for the shrimp to be submerged and not get too stressed.

It didn't sound so difficult until it said "remove the isopods promptly from the water, as the female will instantly begin laying eggs if she detaches from the shrimp, if the larvae are available in her brood pouch.

It is also best to remove the parasite (borpyds, in this case) under water, as the pocket where the parasite was can fill up with air, if removed when out of water. This air pocket can be popped, but has to be done so, by turning the shrimp upside down so the gill set is facing upward, allowing air bubbles to rise to the water's surface.

Long-term effects to the shrimp after removal have not been studied.

11. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

If you just bought them, I'd take them back right away and ask for a pair that's not infected. But maybe that's just me.

12. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

My cleaner would get this every now and again after a molt...It always went away. It's just a harmless deformity in the shell as far as I'm aware.