Cleaner Shrimp Has Eggs?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by ManNurseReefer, Aug 21, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

I looked into this back when my cleaners & peppermints were popping out eggs & babies all the time. You can catch the babies (at least from the peppermints) and put them in another tank, but feeding them is almost impossible and the biggest barrier I read about (this was some biologists trying to breed them in a lab) was the changeover from juvenile form to adult form. They usually don't live through it in a tank environment. Back when I read all this (2004 or so), they had yet to figure out really why & their best guess was the conditions had to be just right for that hard completely different type of body transition. It would probably take a lot of looking to find that article again, but google is your friend & I see lots of info out there on the subject. Maybe someone found out why by now!

The fish & corals loved it when the babies would swarm tho LOL.

2. Click Here!

3. Moray Eel

Moray Eel Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

When mine had eggs the eel ate the whole shrimp and it eggs.

4. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Sorry, but this made me chuckle.:p Eels will eat small inverts, sometimes even fish. Basically anything that will fit in their mouth is dinner.

5. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

ManNurse, any update on this?