Cleaner shrimp got eaten

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Seguragr, Mar 19, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

2. Click Here!

3. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

the shell you found did it seem open on the back about in the middle of the length of the shrimp? a molted shell will be empty but whole an eaten shrimp will be shreded. im pretty sure the little dude just molted.

secondly not all skunk cleaner shrimps will "clean" fish i have 3 in my 118 gallon and only one does his job (my fire shrimps however are often visited for cleaning....strange).

in terms of what may i eat your shrimp i see nothing on there that would, i have a blue spot puffer that shreded one of my peppermints, some what horrific. stupid fish eats anything but he is 2 dumb/cute looking to give away. mind you i give him a shrimp head every morning to much on, guess he decided fresh was better

4. ferretfish

ferretfish Sea Dragon

Probilbly the 6line if it was eatin

5. dunc101

dunc101 Flamingo Tongue

I came home one day and saw a whole "body" and whiskers sticking out of my MP40 and I freaked out. It turns out the cleaner shrimp had molted as I found it the next day in the rocks.

6. Seguragr

Seguragr Astrea Snail

well it's been about 36 hours and I've seen no sign of him. How long would you expect him to hide if he did molt?

The shell was definitely not shredded. Literally there were two pieces. It looked like he got torn in half at his tail. I didn't notice any splitting on the back of the shell, but I honestly wasn't really looking for it. Now the shell has long since been thrown away, so I can't check.

7. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

2-3 days of hiding after molting, typically.

8. Click Here!

9. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

I came home and saw this one day and almost freaked out lol. I later found him hanging under my overflow lol.

Attached Files:

10. ZC42

ZC42 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

My cleaner got eaten by my serpent star

11. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

im almost ready to put my hand in the fire he molted, they stay in hiding till the have a hard shell again, during and right after molt is when they are most vulnerable to predation, hence why they try to keep away from the looks of everyone while doing so

12. Seguragr

Seguragr Astrea Snail

Well. Just an update for anyone who was keeping up. After this long since I found what I thought was a dead shrimp, I am ready to call it and say that I did, on fact, find my cleaner dead. I kept my hopes up but it has now been over a week with no sign of it.