Cleaner Shrimp Eggs?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by clownfish, Dec 11, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. clownfish

clownfish Skunk Shrimp

I have two cleaner shrimps in my tank. One of them now has tiny white sand size things in the back of its body under the little legs they move when swimming....could these be eggs or ick? I'm not sure. I'll try to get a good picture later, I tried but they kept moving so it was blury. Opinions?
    Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Once they start then about every 15days she will become Gravid as do peppermints and Harlequin's aswell as the blood shrimps They make great coral and fish food

4. clownfish

clownfish Skunk Shrimp

So they are eggs? They seem stuck to under the back tiny legs...

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Thats where she totes them right up under her the hifg dollar name eludes me now but right up under the tail :) for want of the real nmae of the body area my bad :-/

6. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

there good fish food so if you want to keep them a quarintine tank would come in handy

7. clownfish

clownfish Skunk Shrimp

I was wondering about ways to actually keep the youngsters alive and away from predators....these shrimps are my wife's favorites.....she calls them "pepe", like the muppets king prawn...(watch muppets from space)

8. Click Here!

9. Frizza

Frizza Coral Banded Shrimp

I have two cleaner shrimp in my tank and they release their live young every 3 weeks or so. The eggs are green and the shrimp hold them under their belly (also don't know the correct name!), then they turn orange and when they are close to hatching they turn a silver colour.

I had a look around on the web to see if the young are difficult to keep alive and sadly it takes alot of effort and the success rates are not that good. So I am more than happy for them to continue in vein and produce lots of live food for my tank every month! ;)

(Edit: Had to find out what it was called - pleopods)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  10. clownfish

clownfish Skunk Shrimp

Wow....that sucks! Oh well, I guess I'll let my fish enjoy the live meal. My wife will cry her butt out though lol....thanks for the info guys.