cleaner shrimp died during drip acclimation?? wth

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by ATC, Jun 19, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fish addict

fish addict Spaghetti Worm

2. Click Here!

3. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

The only thing I could add to this is maybe in the 1.5 hours of acclimation, the temperature in the bag got too low. When you drip, did you have the bag floating in tank water, or outside the water in a separate container? Water temperature can drop quite quickly if left unconnected from the system. Hope you have better luck next time.

4. cdeboard

cdeboard Montipora Digitata

When I bought my peppermints... they floated for about 10 mins.. then dropped in to the DT... they have molted nearly every other day and grown well... have had them for a couple months now

5. ATC

ATC Astrea Snail

On Sunday I took my water to a reputable lfs to do a full test on it since I do not have a copper or other metal test kits. Everything was in parameters except my SG. When I tested the water in my tank with electric pinpoint monitor I have, I was getting 1.024. I usually back this up with a refract but a friend was borrowing it at the time. When the lfs tested the water they were getting around 1.033 sg backing up with a refract as well. I'm fairly certain that this is probably the culprit in the quick death of both of the shrimp, since they said i have no trace metals, and i told them specifically that i thought i had a copper problem. My electric monitor seems to be faulty as I did calibrate it, luckly it's new so i shouldn't have a problem switching it out. Really aggrevates me that it seems the salinity was the problem, but what can ya do.

No i do not have any other inverts in the tank. the cycle was recently completed and i have 2 cleaaner gobies/2 blue damsels and 1 coral beauty.

I plan on taking water to get tested every other week just to back up what i'm getting from my tests. I try to test at least twice a week. Right now everything reads 0 8.2ph and i lowered the salinity to 1.021 to buffer for another possible spike until i get another monitor.

I plan on keeping this a FO system until I move into a more permanent location. My plan with this system once it's a little more stable is to only have a lionfish and snowflake, the other fish will be moved to a 30 gal bowfront that is not yet setup.

the first shrimp the bag was disconnected from the system and i'm guessing the water did get cold in that long acclimation time, plus my salinity not being right didn't help. with the 2nd one i floated the bag and was able to finness a drip in the tank before i released it, and i followed reefcleaner's way of acclimating.

6. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I bet that is the reason then....SG 1.033 is high.
    You are down to 1.021...how fast? That is a big drop so watch your fish and corals...

7. ATC

ATC Astrea Snail

I started lowering the salinity on sunday after the water test, which was in the morning. fish seem to be in good health thus far, i'm FO so no corals to worry about.