cleaner shrimp died during drip acclimation?? wth

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by ATC, Jun 19, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

+1. My guess is that you actually acclimated too long. When you put a creature in a bag (or any very small amount of water, including the acclimation bowl as well), the ammonia immediately starts to build as the PH starts to drop.
    When you start adding tank water, that then again raises the PH. That, raises the ammonia even more, and increases its toxicity even more. Many places are now ditching the drip method. Reefcleaners.org, which deals with mostly inverts, even will void your guarantee if you drip the creatures.
    I for one float 15-20 minutes in the bag, add a little water half way in between, and release said creature. If it is from an unkown source and I don't want the water, I will set up a drip at a relatively fast pace and do it for 15-20 minutes, then gently set the animal in by hand to avoid any possibility of the unkown water entering my system. I do this for all my creatures, including cleaner shrimp, corals, fish, etc, and have never had a problem. Grant it there are some animals out there (like starfish) that need longer acclimation times, but in general you really don't need to acclimate that long, and often times do more damage to the creature when you do.

2. Click Here!

3. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I have never bought an animal from the internet so I have never had anything that had been in a bag too long. I did forget that I usually will add stress coat and/or a little of prime to my stuff also when I get it.

Honestly....I check the salinity and depending on the params I may or may not drip it...if it is close. I just temp acclimate it and release it into the tank. But inverts I do drip always

4. ATC

ATC Astrea Snail

I got mine from the local petco, not from an internet order so it wasnt in the bag for that long and came right out of their tanks.

I'm a little confused because these 2 methods seem to contradict each other? The drip I was using started out slow and then after a bit I increased the flow to just slow enough to see spaces in between the drops when they hit the water, when I went to increase the flow even more the shrimp appeared dead.

So was the moderate drip the killer or not going fast enough? I dripped my coral beauty and cleaner gobies this way and they are fine, granted they are not shrimp.

Do the methods of acclimating these shrimp change depending on salinity/ph other differences between lfs water and your own?

wasn't

Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
  5. rodcpierce

rodcpierce Ritteri Anemone

I will continue to do my method like i mentioned above on the first page, which seems pretty similar to pack leaders mentioned way, untill I have problems.

6. ATC

ATC Astrea Snail

yea it appears my drip went on for too long, a trip over to reefcleaners.org faq page resulted

Crabs, Shrimp, Urchins, and Starfish
    1. Float the bag in your tank for 15 minutes to get them used to the temperature.
    2. Open bag, and drip acclimate for 30 minutes. (Start a siphon with airline tubing and then tie a knot in it so there is about 4 drops of water every second or so).
    3. Remove animals from water and place in your tank.

lesson learned.

7. ATC

ATC Astrea Snail

hm well i'm pretty steamed and just figured that reefcleaner.org's way is pretty wrong. Was able to finness another shrimp from the store and I did the reefcleaner.org way of acclimation for shrimps, even checked the salinity with my tank, both 1.024, before acclimating and it died 15 minutes after I put it into the MT. Only a 15 minute drive from the store to my apartment and I started acclimation immediately.

seriously...wtf

8. Click Here!

9. rodcpierce

rodcpierce Ritteri Anemone

reefcleaner.org's way is in fact correct my friend. He has sold millions of inverts, and wouldnt void his warranty if not done that way. John knows what hes talking about. As far as im concerned acclimation is like a honda or harley, ford or chevy, honda or toyota. Ask 10 people, you will get 5 different answers. Perhaps your just getting batches of bad shrimp from death co. no idea man, sorry my friend.

10. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

has any chemicals been placed in your tank like copper? Copper can stay in your sand and rocks and is very deadly to inverts!

If this is your second shrimp death I am thinking that there was some copper some where along the line

11. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Maybe you should look into buying livestock from a more reputable source before allowing yourself to get too frustrated ;)

12. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

+1 might be the best advice on this.
    Who knows how petco keeps them alive. Do you have copper in your tank at all? Maybe the LFS took water from a tank with copper in it and bagged your shrimp with that water and poisoned it within the 20 minutes. I put 2 cleaner shrimp in today, and 5 peppermint shrimp in earlier this week and not one died. Something is wrong here. Are there any other hermit crabs or inverts living in your tank?