cleaner shrimp died during drip acclimation?? wth

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by ATC, Jun 19, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ATC

ATC Astrea Snail

I just purchased a cleaner shrimp today and was drip acclimating it, after about 1.5 hours i went to check on it before i put it in the tank and it was on it's back not moving. It was fine when i started the drip and I have fish alive and well in the MT..is this normal or did it definately just die 15 minutes after I bought it?

2. Click Here!

3. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Do you know the salt level difference of the LFS water and your tank??? Inverts do not handle salinity changes well or PH difference.

4. rodcpierce

rodcpierce Ritteri Anemone

im pretty sure my salinity diff is quite abit from the local petco (where I got my cleaner) and I just acclimated him by floating for 15 minutes, then put 1 cup of water in the bag every 5 minutes untill full, emptied half, did this again, then plopped him in the tank. Hes happy as can be.

5. ATC

ATC Astrea Snail

i didn't check the lfs water before i started the drip. i keep my tank at 1.024 8.2ph

6. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

I had that happen to me last time I ordered 2 cleaners from Live Aquaria. 1 made it, the other died.

The only difference here is that the lfs probably has no guarantees, and it presumably was in transit less time than mine.

7. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

you got lucky! Shrimp do not do well at all with salinity changes. Dripping them very slowly is the only way to ensure sucess. Whenever I get a shrimp I check the LFS water salinity and my salinity and then based on result drip it very slow for at least a couple hours. I run the drips very slowThey tend to do better with your salinity being a little higher then they do with a drop.

Chances are yours died during acclimation...sorry!

8. Click Here!

9. ATC

ATC Astrea Snail

very aggrevating as i had the drip going pretty slow, pretty sure there isnt a guarantee i guess i'll try and trade it out anyway. not paying $26 for another one.

10. PJSATC86

PJSATC86 Flamingo Tongue

That sucks. It doesnt hurt to go back to the LFS and tell them what happened

11. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

Cant blame the store

12. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

If you are going to drip acclimate anything that comes off the internet, use some prime in the bag to thwart the conversion of NH4 to NH3 when oxygenated water is introduced. That can be as damaging as salinity changes with inverts.

1 person likes this.