Cleaner AND blood red fire shrimp?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Recliner, Mar 6, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Recliner

Recliner Flamingo Tongue

I have a fire shrimp in my 150 gal tank and just bought a 35 gallon cube system that came with a cleaner shrimp. I don't think there's enough fish in the 35 for a cleaner shrimp and would like it in my 150. Could I add it even though there is a fire shrimp? Will they fight? I also have 5 peppermints and a reef lobster in the 150 if that makes a difference.

2. Click Here!

3. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

I have a cleaner and a peppermint in my 75 with no issue.

4. Recliner

Recliner Flamingo Tongue

The cleaner shrimp is a scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp.
    From live aquaria about my fire shrimp...
    The Blood Red Fire*Shrimp prefers a habitat providing it with a cave or overhang where the lighting is not too intense. While it will tolerate its mate, others of its own kind will be chased away or harassed

I'm guessing the scarlet is not considered the "of it's own kind" to the fire shrimp. I know scarlet cleaners can be kept in groups.

They are the ones I'm mostly worried about. I figured the peppermints would be fine

5. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Even archenemies such as the skunk cleaner and coral banded shrimp have been kept together successfully in larger tanks. They usually just acknowledge each other's territory and keep away. Don't know if there's any animosity between them at all, but to be safe, you could note your fire shrimp's area and release the cleaner elsewhere.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  6. Nuebie

Nuebie Peppermint Shrimp

I have a blood red and skunk in the same tank. They have never had any issues

7. Recliner

Recliner Flamingo Tongue

Well they're sharing the tank now. The fire shrimp is usually in the center towards the bottom of the rocks and the new cleaner has been hanging out on the right up high in the rocks.
    I'm excited to see him do some cleaning cause the fire shrimp never touches any of my fish.

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

You will probably not have much luck with the shrimp actually cleaning a fish in your system.There should be little to no parasites in your system so there is no need.Cleaner shrimp will scavenge food and detritus for there food.;)

1 person likes this.
  10. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

And steal food from LPS :eek:

11. HeiHei29er

HeiHei29er Gigas Clam

+1; very efficiently steal it. Even after the polyp is closed. :-/

12. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

One trick I've used is to feed the shrimp first with a small chunk of fish, shrimp, or clam. Once he retreats behind the rocks with his own meal, then target the corals, nems, etc.

1 person likes this.