Clean up crew

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Peredhil, Oct 2, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

+1 for the experiment thanks for the updates.

2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

The brown has been "peeling away" in a lot of areas. The nerites kind of bull doze the brown into clumpy sheets that wave in the wind, I mean current, and peel away. Where it peels away is crystal clear. These areas are, within a few days, being replaced by green. I don't think it shows well in the pic, but there's snail trails all through the green.

I got a mag float yesterday - not to ruin the documentation process but because I hate looking at these huge clusters of egg sacs that nothing seems to touch. They're not on the front wall really, so I'm only going to use it on the back corners.

Here's todays pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

What a huge difference! My question is, when they are done eating all that junk will they starve to death? And the Nerites will lay eggs year round all over everything. you'll learn to ignore them. nothing you can do other than scrape them off and then they'll just lay more.....

5. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

If the food level goes down they will breed a lot less, but they will breed. Film algae will replace their current food, and you would be surprised how much food lingers in the sand. That crew will be able to find food, and shouldn't die off. Always some sort of nuisance algae coming about. They all eat a wide range of foods that will help them adapt to changes in your tank. There is always going to be algae forming, now you just won't see it though. Plus you got a big tank there, and you can always add mopre fish for them to clean up after.

6. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

7. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Amazing. Are those rocks glued together somehow?

8. Click Here!

9. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

Aahh! Only 5 days left... tell them to hurry up!

10. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

A couple of them have an uncanny natural shape that I was able to hook them together. A couple more are epoxied (very small bit so I can break later if need be) and the smaller ones up top are resting comfortably. I'm not sure on the final placement for those.

11. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Oh yeah, can you spot the face of an "immortal" from 300? Someone pointed it out to me once and now I can't look at that rock without seeing it.

12. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

hehe. I've had a fresh but relatively smallish outbreak on the rocks again. They were pretty clean. After the 25th, I'll see where we stand, but I'm considering using the mag-float to clean the glass and finish the documentation with just the rock/floor.

What do you folks think?