Clean up crew

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Peredhil, Oct 2, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 1st time

1st time Purple Spiny Lobster

I just got an order from John---they are turning over my sand an everything is beginning to look great--love those ceriths!

2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Got a request to take pics while all the lights were on. So that's today's treat. Took them at lunch this time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Check out the limpet out for some air! :p

[​IMG]

4. 1st time

1st time Purple Spiny Lobster

Wow, I can see a definite difference!

5. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

The rocks look cleaner but they are slacking on the glass. Anyway a make up crew for the limpets that didn't make it are on the way.

6. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

^ testament to :crown:http://www.reefcleaners.org/:crown: awesomeness ^

7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

The rocks and floor are looking so much better. It's really hard to tell because of the glass. So I suppose the scope of this little experiment has changed. Clearly <pun>, it would take less time if I would clean the glass.

Let's see how much longer I can stand it! Got some additional workers on the way from ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Home. Very nice.

Today's report - The little dudes have cleaned a nice long trail along the front on the floor line. So I can see in through there pretty good. Elsewhere, I have the cleaner spots (see earlier pic) - these circles now have a clearish film, like dead skin starting to come off. As this comes off, that spot becomes very clear. Very cool to see.

The one Chiton is still out of the water, but the Limpet has moved back in - without falling over. Though I did have two others to flip today. Not bad really. Still feels like they're getting better.

My Florida Ceriths are all on different schedules. Some are burrowing, but keeping the algae growth sticking out. Amazingly, I observed one dwarf planaxis almost to the top of the glass. Tiny little thing.

Today's pics are actinics, because I had to work through lunch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Got to feeling bad (lack of sleep) - so I've been down for a couple of days.

I've got yesterdays pictures (but none for day before). It's really come a long way. Got a new shipment of nerites in. These guys all took off very quickly. This shouldn't take too terrible much longer at this rate!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In this one, you can see lots of workers (including one of the Chitons!) but also notice the cleaner glass.

[​IMG]

10. PumaKrieg

PumaKrieg Flamingo Tongue

dont want to steal from this thread at all but i have a related question. Once his tank is clean, will all his cleaners die from a lack of food? This has happened to me time and time again, wheras i thought that maybe it would balance out, so that perhaps some of them would live, enough to keep the tank clean, but the extras would die off. This is especially evident with hermit crabs, that dont seem to live long at all, and i have a huge pile of dead turbo snails as well. I myself really like watching these inverts, and would like to keep them as more than just a cleanup crew, but if this is not possible than id rather just clean the tank myself then waste the money.

11. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Today's update. First, I know there's a window reflection in some of today's pics. I got an Instinct and I was excited to take a picture with that and upload them directly from the phone to photobucket. Worked well and fast. So today's pic are with my 2.0 megapixel instinct whereas the rest are with a 6 megapixel hp camera.

Feel free to comment on that if you want.

Anyway, after the netrite addition - woah. The glass has come a long way in so short a time. It looks like they sometimes leave a little white spot with a yellow center on the glass. Is that poop, eggs, new algage?

On with the pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Looking a lot cleaner P! I was going to suggest scraping just the front panel to give the little guys a little bit more of a targeted area to work on, but there is a definite improvement!
    As for the pics, they look just as good quality wise. A lot of people get mislead simply by going with the megapixel rating, where there are so many other factors. Lens quality being the major one. Also, a lot of camera's have a much lower useable pixel rating then there actual listed pixel rating. A good example are my two camera's. One is an 8.something megapixel cybershot, and the other is a 6.1 megapixel Nikon D70S. The Nikon blows the sony out of the water; no contest.