clean-up crew per gallon

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by nanonooners, Jun 30, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nanonooners

nanonooners Astrea Snail

I have a 20 gallon tank with 30 pounds live rock, 15 pounds live sand. 2 clown fish.

I need to know how big of a clean-up crew I will need to keep this tank under control. I currently have 3 snails and 2 electric blue hermit crabs. It has been a week and they haven't even put a dent in the algea. How many more snails, hermits, or shrimp should I have in my 20 gallon tank?

I want variety in my clean-up crew so if you could tell me good combinations of species that would be helpful.

I am also interested in getting some kind of crab.

2. Click Here!

3. wasitgreen

wasitgreen Feather Duster

I got 50 Blue Leg hermits during a sale for my 40B and have 1 snail (I think it's a turbo) and it took <1 hour to turn a rock that was pure hair algae into an algaeless rock, I think it's generally ~1 hermit per gallon, though I'm not sure on that.

4. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

Shoot a pm to john or post a thread in the reefcleaners.org section. Visit his web site & he has prepackaged CuC's or can make one for you. reefcleaners is the A+ place to get what you need & a sponsor to boot.

5. Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer Millepora

Reefcleaners.org is having a 15% sale during the 4th of July weekend, check out the sponser section. John has quick crews for every size you can imagine, and the customer service is the best around!!!