Clean up Crew in my Tank

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Hoopastank, Jul 26, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Hoopastank

Hoopastank Spaghetti Worm

Hi Guys,

My clean up crew mostly is doing an okay job, but the snails are trying to get out of the top of the tank. Now i don't have a lid for my BioCube so i am going to get some egg crate and place it on the top. The question is, why would they try and leave? and should i put them back on the bottom when they are at the top? I have been doing that so far.

I have 5 snails and 5 crabs seems like I need more any suggestions?

Thanks!!

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

What species of snails? Unfortunately in this hobby, some "reef cleaners" are actually shoreline critters that spend a lot of time above the water line in nature. Also, how much algae do you have? Snails rarely feed on much else in our tanks. How old is your tank and what are the current parameters?

4. Hoopastank

HI, I don't have much algae.maybe 15% (tough guess) but i am starting to see hair algae on the whip that I have. The tank is now just under 4 weeks old, I have one Clown-fish so far. 4 Crabs don't know what kind but they are cleaning the rocks good. 1 died or came dead and I did not pay attention to it when my LFS gave it to me. I am going to get some more crabs tomorrow as my brother in law said i should ( this was his tank to start). The corals are nice so far opening well and eating, well at least the lunar pally did (really neat to watch by the way). I also have eagle eye zoas in there too, and GSP So far 4 snails are found and accounted for i cant find one or the shell if it is dead. I attached a picture to help with the snails. Let me know if it does.

Parameters:

My salinity is 1.025,
    Temp is at 77.3 degrees

pH 8.0
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 10

Nano protein skimmer running well
    Media basket with purigen (only 2 days old, good still)
    Media basket poly fiber 2 days old.
    Snail.jpg

Thanks Very Much.

5. Mr. Bill

Astraea snails. Mine spend time near the surface, as well. I don't bother them as it's a lost cause- they'll just climb right back up until they want to go down. Never had one climb out, though. They may hang out there for a day or two, then they'll be back on the rocks. HTH

ReefBruh likes this.
  6. Hoopastank

Thanks for the info!! Any other type of snails i should get? or any other cleaner?

7. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

would be good to get a look at those crabs as well so we can help you ID them

Mr. Bill and Hoopastank like this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

I really like turbo snails and sand conchs.

Cerith and nassarius are great additions too.

Mr. Bill likes this.
  10. Hoopastank

Hi guys here are the crabs I get
    Here are the Crabs that i buy. I bought them today, and i asked the lady at my LFS what "kind" or "Species" they are and she said "ah you don't need to worry about that" like i am some kind of idiot. She got an ear full of all my credentials including my Masters Degree in IT. (this is me venting sorry!) I might have to find another LFS to go too.. lol Thanks for helping this idiot out!!

crabsfortank.jpg

11. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

ah 4 hermit crabs, you had me worried for a moment when you said crabs. keep in mind they may eat snails as they grow if they dont have empty shells readily available to tranfer to. im guessing those are zebra hermit crabs

Mr. Bill likes this.
  12. Mr. Bill

You're welcome. :)

Personally, I'm not a big fan of vendor-sized reef cleaner packs that are based on tank size alone. They're usually grossly oversized, which results in a lot of death from starvation. If your tank could use a little boost, go to Reef Cleaners (a 3Reef sponsor), fill out the form, and they will recommend a custom CuC tailored to your specific needs.