clams

Discussion in 'Clams' started by shoebox, Mar 8, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. shoebox

shoebox Bubble Tip Anemone

OK so what happens if you have more than one clam in your tank. Its a 125gal. I think they are the coolest.

2. Click Here!

3. Clonefarmer

Clonefarmer Millepora

I don't think there are any issues with multiple clams as long as there is adequate space. I see plenty of tanks with multiple clams next to each other that are healthy looking.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

As the clams get larger or if you start with large clams, you will have to dose calcium to keep up with their growth. Clams suck the calcium up, especially as they get larger and in competition with stoney corals and coralline algae.

Check all clams religiously for pyramid snails, and pinched mantel disease, prior to purchase. One clam is hard enough to treat, many clams is a huge head ache.

Try to get clams over 2 inches at least, not gaping, good coloration and show a strong close reflex when shadowed or disturbed.

5. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

I have 2 clams in my 55g tank and their mantels are always brushing against each other, I have yet to see an issue. My Derasa is growing faster than my Crocea but both are very healthy. The Derasa is about 7" and the Crocea is about 6".

6. nicodim55

nicodim55 Coral Banded Shrimp

I have 2 squammosa in my 150g and they are literally next to each other touching their mantels. No issues

7. shoebox

shoebox Bubble Tip Anemone

Great thanks. Still a long way off but I like to know the answer before the question is asked. Thanks again.