Clams under LED's(GROWTH)

Discussion in 'Clams' started by CharlotteReefer, Feb 23, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CharlotteReefer

CharlotteReefer Coral Banded Shrimp

I recently bought and installed the rapid led dimmable retrofit kit for my biocube 29. I thought I was told in the past that a clam would work fine with the LED's. Today another LFS told me you have to have metal halide's. What is the correct answer?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. Aaron.Herk

Aaron.Herk Sea Dragon

Your clam will be fine under the right LEDs t5s or halides. All three are capable of keeping a healthy clam.

4. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

you're fine! pretty sure that system would grow ANYTHING! The more posts I read, the less I like LFS's! If ya have a good one, support it, but the lack of basic knowledge by many of them is staggering!

5. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

The LEDs should do just fine, the LFS says you "Need" metal halide but that isnt true because a quality T5 could keep a clam, so a quality LED will definitely keep a clam.

6. CharlotteReefer

I have 3 decent ones, I just have to have to visit all 3 to complete the question I had, haha. One has the best fish and small frags, one has the best coral and good knowledge, and the closest one has decent coral/fish but the most friendly and knowledgable. I have a lot of options around Charlotte, some are just old school and still dont believe in the new technology of LED's...

7. CharlotteReefer

Next question is where is the proper placement for them....sand bed or will they do alright on a rock?

8. Click Here!

9. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Show these clams to your lfs! Led!

Attached Files:

10. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

That I believe would depend on the species of clam.

11. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

What type of clam! I have my small maxima on a rock, but only because he's made his home there! All 3 of mine jumped ship from rocks to the substrate once, and he's the only one that don't twice! I like vinny's theory of keeping them on the bottom so they don't get hurt jumping off! Expensive thing to have get killed jumping! IMO, i'd keep them on the bottom, a derasa is fine in the sand, a crocea should prob have a rock under it to secure to!

It really depends on the species!

12. CharlotteReefer

Not sure what I want yet...I would rather have something that I could place on a rock about half way up or higher so it would be away from everything.