clams, mussels etc on my new live rock.

Discussion in 'Clams' started by coyle, Jan 26, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. coyle

coyle Bristle Worm

How do I take care of these? I bought some live base rock from a local seller (Dale Barger) and it has a bunch of clams and mussels on it which I love but now need to learn to keep alive.

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

IME
    These things tend to look after themselves in the average reef set up
    some will survive for ages and yet others may die off during the cycle of a typical tank

I have had a few, and some I only realised I had after they had died
    as the previously anchored shell appears on the sand bed sometimes many months after the rock was added

Steve

4. Fiyero1988

Fiyero1988 Bristle Worm

Steve is right. My tank is half Florida live rock from the Tampa area and the other half is marco rock.
    The amount of life on our live rock is astonishing. Florida has some of the most beautiful specimens that come as freebies on live rocks. Some will live, while others will die off because what I have noticed is most are filter feeders and will require supplementation. I do however, have several jewel box and turkey wing clams as well as red feather dusters that are thriving after years in my tank.

5. Fiyero1988

Fiyero1988 Bristle Worm

They will take care of themselves however, they will also require Zoo-plankton and most importantly phytoplankton to filter out of the water. Once your tank becomes established they will need less feeding because microorganisms will eventually begin to breed and introduce planula into the water stream.

6. Fiyero1988

Fiyero1988 Bristle Worm

LMAO I totally just said Steve is right and then glanced and noticed your last name is wright. No pun intended I swear.