Clam's intake

Discussion in 'Clams' started by clarky2120, Jan 1, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. clarky2120

clarky2120 Bubble Tip Anemone

I purchased the clam off of a guy who was breaking down his tank. He had it on the sand not attached to anything. I don't know much about clams so I put it on the sand too. It was never attached to anything in my tank so I don't think I hurt the foot at anytime.

2. Click Here!

3. clarky2120

Thanks. I bought a bunch of SPS frags from a local craigslister who was breaking down his tank to move. He threw the clam in as a freebie!! :eek: ;D

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Just check your parameters to make sure it is not adding any stress the clam. IMO big maximas can do fine on the sandbed in shallower tanks, but should probably go in the rockwork in deeper tanks. If you do move it up do so slowly and make sure it can not fall from it's postion. But like 2in10 posted I would give it some more time.

5. Nismo400rgtr

Nismo400rgtr Teardrop Maxima Clam

+1^^

Not sure if the shading in the second pic is you or not but definitely not seeing the light it was in the 55. It's alright in any event. After the move you wouldn't want To shock it so just give it time and slowly get it back to the depth it was in your 55, assuming lighting is of the same spectrum. Being a maxima, I'm sure it'd take to rock if you tried, just a natural tendency.

6. clarky2120

I did the measurements between the two tanks. My 55 was about 15 inches from the top to the sandbed. My new 125 is about 21" to the sand bed so it is down farther.

The lights however were in a canopy in the 55 about 8 inches from the water. Now they are suspended about 4 inches from the water. I would have to assume the light diffusion in air to be a lot less than in water though.

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

4" is minimal at most for diffusion in air. The 6" difference in depth is key. After a couple of days you could move it up 6" or so in you tank no problem.