clams and sps...possible?

Discussion in 'Clams' started by reeferdude, Jul 13, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reeferdude

reeferdude Fire Shrimp

was wondering if it was possible to keep clams and sps coral together just on opposite sides of the tank. i know that sps doesnt like any traceable nitrates and really likes high water flow, which is totally opposite for the clams. i could manage the flow but what about the nitrates? would really like to keep both without having to set up different tanks for everybody.

2. Click Here!

3. Godbert

Godbert Montipora Capricornis

its beneficial to have clams in sps tanks seeing as they filter out any additional nitrates in your water

4. antonym518

antonym518 Purple Spiny Lobster

That would be fine just put the clams in the bottom. They have the close to same conditions.

5. ollie51

ollie51 Feather Duster

i have 6 maximas & 1 tridaca in my sps tank look on members gallery only thing is not to allow to much flow on the clams you dont want their mantles to lift up ive had them together for years and no problems

6. kyrie_eleison

kyrie_eleison Astrea Snail

I have a couple of clams in my tank with SPS. They do a great job at reducing ammonia and nitrates (not that I've had a previous problem). However, they're only there for a aesthetic reasons. And, since going SPS, I've not seen very good luck in the growth rate of my SPS corals due to the amount of calcium being absorbed by all my stonies and the clams together. Most likely, I may be getting rid of the clams in order to see better luck with my SPS.

7. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

Why not increase the calcium, alk and mag in the tank?? Just replace what the clam consumes.