Clam...

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Nightstick, Apr 30, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Nightstick

Nightstick Purple Spiny Lobster

I recently bought a clam(unknown what kind?) w/ a ricordia attached! My questions are as follows

Where and how do I place it in my tank? I have heard on my substrate it ok, others have said on a rock.

Do I place it horizontal or what?

Do I have to spot feed it?'

[​IMG]
    Thanks...[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Where you place it depends on what type it is. Crocea and Maximas can be placed on the rock or on the substrate, although if placed on the substrate, they should have something underneath of them that they can attach to so that they don't attach to your glass bottom. Croceas and Maximas both need a lot of light. If placed on the rock, they will bore into the rock to create a place to stay. Derseas and Squamosa should be placed on the substrate. Has your clam opened up yet, if you can get a picture of it opened, then it will be easier to tell what kind it is.

4. wildblue

wildblue Astrea Snail

That looks very similar* to what came with my live rock. I can't find the link, but I believe mine are oysters.

* Based on the light colored patch where the 'hinge' is in the foreground and general shape. I'll keep digging. Can you get the opposite side or open like Guitarman suggested?

5. Nightstick

Nightstick Purple Spiny Lobster

If this is what you have, where and how should I place it? I'll send a picture when it opens more!

6. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

Probably an Ark clam,these are sometimes sold with ricordia attached,check out thread in "clams forum" about ark clam questions.