Clam Ripped Byssal Thread

Discussion in 'Clams' started by crank2211, Jul 7, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. crank2211

crank2211 Purple Spiny Lobster

I've had my Maxima for two weeks now. I found a spot I thought it liked as it stopped jumping off the rock. It only moved around slightly until it attached, but unfortunately it attached with 2/3 of it's shell hanging off the side of the rock. After work I noticed it leaning down off the rock onto some zoanthids still very full and extended. Seems happy enough but it's leaning to it's side maybe 45 degrees and might be able to attach its foot to the side or corner of the same small rock. Is it cool to leave sitting sideways?

It seems like it ripped itself off the rock and left its threads behind. Is this normal behavior? I want to ask if it will recover, but it seems okay and not much to recover from. I hope.

Also, should I attempt to put it back on its rock or leave it be. As you can see the mantel is laying on a bunch of zoanthids. Should I just pull the zoanthid rock away?

Check it out:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Left behind threads

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

So it is just part of it and not the whole foot then?

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

It will be fine, they are OK when they move themselves.

Great looking clam. If it has reattached do not try and move it.

5. crank2211

crank2211 Purple Spiny Lobster

Well, no the whole foot pulled itself off and it fell of the top of the rock it was sitting on, and fell down on the rock below it. It is now wedged in the crevice made by the bottom and top rock. It kind of looks like it can reattach it's foot to the same rock, just on the side of it since it's sitting at an angle now.

Thanks 10, I knew they moved around sometimes. I just didn't realize they would detach from the rock and leave their threads behind when doing so.

What do you think about leaving it on top of the zoas? I can move the zoa rock also but it seems it is helping support the clam at that 45 degree angle with it's foot almost on the side of the rock I want it on. I don't believe it has attached back to anything yet. Not 100% though.

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You can try and move to a more secure position where it is at. Just be gentle.

7. blumoon reefers

blumoon reefers Millepora

My derasa clam fell over onto its side and its mantle covered a chalice....by morning the chalice was a goner...I know you said the zoa rock was helping to support the clam, but I would be worried that the zoas would die.

8. Click Here!

9. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

I would leave it alone, it should be just fine. My clam did kinda the same thing when it moved, left a piece of it's self on the rock shelf I had put it on. When it moved it got close to the edge but held one till I assume it could feel the rock below and then let go leaving a small piece of itself on the the rock above. It did this 3 times before I finally left it alone and its been in the same place for almost 2 years now.

10. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

do clams secrete toxins? i have a clam practically laying on a branch of digitata and they are both fine every day...