Clam on sand?

Discussion in 'Clams' started by skurious, Sep 12, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

I just got a Maxima Clam and have it in my tank on a little piece of live rock. It keeps on falling off and even seems to be moving around a little bit. I wasnt sure if I could just put the clam on the sand bed and it would anchor itself there? or do I need to put it on a piece of rock and wait for it to attach?

This is my first claim, and it seems to be doing fine except that it keeps falling over for whatever reason.

2. Click Here!

3. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

i have live mussels in a tank i made out of stuff locally caught in the LI sound behind my house and they seem to move wherever they want some how wich confuses me since the dont have anyway of swimming or walking etc, unless theres something unbenounced to me

4. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Some clams can do okay on the sand, but Maxima clams should go on the rocks.

5. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

Thanks, any idea on how long it will take for its foot to attach? a time frame or anything?

6. Katie Grant

Katie Grant Aiptasia Anemone

This is how clams move around ;D;D;D

Clam getting around - YouTube

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Place a flat shell/rock.... under the clam for it to foot to, while in the sand bed. Very slowly over a couple weeks time move it up, depending on your type of lighting (led I guess). It may take a couple days for it to lay down byssal threads but once it attaches you can begin to move it up. If it jumps again or becomes detached it's too much light until acclimated.

The clam need a depression to sit in, not too much flow or too much light.

Trust me when I post nothing kills smaller clams faster than falling over or off rock repeatedly.

8. Click Here!

9. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

Thanks, Right now i have the clam in my CPR first aid on the side of the tank on a rock, im letting it do its thing and hopefully it will attach here soon. He knocked himself over last night and keeps doing it so at this point im just letting it be on its side because it looked like it was trying to attach.

As for my lighting it is very strong (Aqua illumination SOL) if i want it to be but right now am only running about 35% power. Plus the cpr first aid is shaded.

10. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral