clam newbie

Discussion in 'Clams' started by LCP136, Apr 24, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

I am a reasonably experienced reefer now (although I still have very much to learn) 10 months into my reef. I just ordered a new Nova 6x54 watt t5 fixture for my 90 gallon. Would it be possible to keep 1 or 2 crocea clams under this at the top or do they need more lighting intensity? I have read that they are the most light intensive clam or one of them. I like this clam for my tank because it stays small. Obviously I can't have a 4 foot clam in a 4 foot tank.

My next question. If I can keep these guys lightwise, would I have problems with any of this livestock: 6 line wrasse; skunk shrimp; blood shrimp; assorted gobies; fiji foxface; emerald crab; sally lightfoot crab; assorted hermits, one relatively large. I am worried about the emerald as I have had problems with him picking at zoos.

Other suggestions? I have read all of the sticky threads in the clam section, but I still clearly have much to learn on the topic.

2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I currently have a crocea under 4 x 54w T5 HO in a 55. However, I do have it in the top 1/3 of the tank. It is doing well. It has grown quite a bit. I have had it for about 9 months.

4. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

So as for lighting it sounds like it would be okay at the top under 6 t5s?

5. divott

divott Giant Squid

ive got one in the same tank as yours. same lights and its doin well. even turned itself to position for best water flow. lol

6. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

Reading your signature I noticed you have 2 angels. First off, a coral beauty and a flame angel are getting along? Second, they're not bothering the clam? Wow.

7. divott

divott Giant Squid

nope theyve left it alone. no nipping whatsoever. and the 1st night with those 2 was bad. turned off the lights early and alls been good since. was also prob better coral was in 1st.

8. Click Here!

9. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

I'll probably get one when my light gets in. Who knows when that will be though. I'm not even sure if aquabuys has them in stock. It may be a month or two.

10. divott

divott Giant Squid

also forgot to mention, ive got my clam on the bottom of the tank

11. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

As an added bonus, don't clams help control nitrates?

12. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

they do, but to play any substantial part in nitrate reduction, they would need to be huge. I wouldn't count on it helping much.