Clam in RSM 130d

Discussion in 'Clams' started by JJL, Apr 6, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

I know I have asked this once before, but are the lights in an RSM 130d good enough to keep a clam healthy? My LFS finally has a clam in stock, and I REALLY want it! I have wanted one for so long now, but they never have them in. RSM ays the lights are each 54w, and there are 2 of them. RSM says they are also T5, but others say they are not actually T5s?!? I am honestly pretty confused about the lighting (amount, watt, type) in the system. If somebody could clear that up for me that would be great! The clam I am looking to get is a small, 3 inch, Deresa clam. Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

The larger the clam, the less light is needed..The smaller..the more light is needed. I have heard of success of keeping clams under T5HO but not sure. I wouldnt do it honestly.

4. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

Really....hmmm...I did not know that about the size.....I guess it is bacause the bigger the clam (more surface area), the more light actually gets to it. Does anybody have experiance actually keeping a clam in an RSM or under T5 lighting?
    Thanks
    JJL

5. Zoanthids21

Yes, its because of the phytoplankton they feed off of. The larger one can handle less light but still needs phyto, the smaller needs high light and phyto.

6. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

This might sound newbish...but is 3-4 inches considered "small"
    Thanks for all of the help!
    JJL

7. Zoanthids21

Somwhat yes..My crocea is about 5"-5.5"

8. Click Here!

9. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Hmm...I've heard it opposite of that, Zoa. The smaller clams(>2") often need feedings of phyto in addition to light because light alone is not enough for them. When they are larger they will require higher levels of calc/mag, but don't need to be fed phyto.

10. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

So which one is correct? :-[

11. Zoanthids21

Thats what i was trying to say haha.

12. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

Ohhhhh....I do not mean to seem so...unthankful...but what is the bottom line here? Can I get in clam, and keep it healthy in an RSM 130d? Thanks
    JJL