clam help, broken shell????

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Reef Queen, Sep 17, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If you have a decent CUC and the clam is not large, it should be gone in short order. Personally I would only worry about a dying clam in a pico or nano under 10 gallons other wise I would not be concerned with it contributing to a decline in water quality.

As others have posted it is typically a very bad sign, when a clam shows that type of shell placement and mantle.

2. Click Here!

3. Reef Queen

Reef Queen Feather Duster

i got maybe 4 hours of sleep worrying over this guy, i checked him again and he actually does look slightly better (ie he shell isnt gaping as much) im going to wait and see what he is like after the MH go on at 3:30, i figured if he was sick or dying my cuc would be all over him...but no one has bothered him at all yet...im keeping my hopes up lol!

4. doylef4i

doylef4i Bubble Tip Anemone

When I had a clam that was questionable my cuc went right after him.Over night my nassarius snails cleaned him out for me.I would say your doing good just keep an eye on him.

5. Reef Queen

yea my crabs are pretty opportunistic and my pep shrimp is a monster lol and they are all doing their normal thing...hopefully i am makeing a big deal out of nothing!

6. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

It looks like its on the side of the clams mouth? I just took a look at mine and i can see all the way though mine like the mantel is there and some white tissue then a hole.

7. Reef Queen

ok heres an update, he is still alive and kicking and does look a little better in the daylight, he had his mantle almost fully extended the entire day. I moved him up about 1 1/2 - 2 inches and rigged him up on the rocks so hopefully he will not fall (i took the pics right after i moved him so thats why he isnt fully extended in them) the only problem is now that he is moved Delvis has taken a liking to him...hopefully she doesnt knock him over, but she has been startleing him because she zooms out of the big cave behind her all the time, but the clam is showing normal reaction to her zooming over him so thats a good sign right? also you can see in the side pic i took how wide the gap is in the shell:( and he does look a little brown in the pics but he always has when he isnt fully extanded and viewed from the side, when viewed from above he is still super super blue, even bluer the Delvis is haha!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    sorry about the cloudy pics, i had just cleaned my powerheads before i took the pics...i time things perfectly like that haha! AND another bit of good news! I found a couple freaking flat worms today...i am just having the most awesome week can you tell::) im going to post another thread about that though so if you have any tips for me on that keep an eye out for it.

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Place the clam on as level of a surface as possible. It will anchor itself and be even happier. Do not try and angle the mantle so you can enjoy the pretty colors.

10. Reef Queen

hoestly i didnt angle him lol, he did that when Delvis zoomed past (dang tang haha) i will try to go through all my rubble rock and see if i have a flat piece, i would rather him not attach to the large piece under the little rubble i stacked under and around him...that rock is huge and its the middle bottom most rock so if i would ever want to move him it would be a big undertaking...i think i have some small flat pieces in my nano i can pull.

11. Reef Queen

well he hasnt changed since my last update and i FINALLY found something about what is going on with him online be googleing "save clam gaping shell" lol and i found a member of another forum i think it was nano-reefs who said...

"There is really only one "treatment" i have ever heard of... Tie a string around the clam, keeping it from gaping. The clam should be able to extend its mantle still, even with the string in place, and the string should allow the clam to recover. Gaping is caused by the clam being weak and not able to hold itself "shut". This may help save a gaping clam."

so i just did some "surgery" (at least thats what i told my future father in law it was when he looked at me weirdly lol) and tried my gumband idea...i tried not to make it too loose or too tight, and it is holding him together, so i guess we will see how it works. it may take some tweaking so i am going to closely monitor him (and of coarse i work today after having absolutely no grooming for a week!) and see if there is any improvement...i figure he is going to die if i just leave him anyway, so this is at least a chance to save him...only time will tell i suppose! i also think i will move him up closer to the lights, but i do not want to do it too quickly so i figure maybe an inch or 2 upwards every week (assuming he survives)? does this sound to slow or too fast? and do you think i should up the target feedings to more then twice a week? maybe every other day now? im trying my best to help this little guy recover!

12. Reef Queen

well its been about an hour and a half since the "surgery" and i swear there is already some improvement...i just walked into the room (about 15 feet away from the tank) and i saw him retract faster then i have ever seen him move before! he has never even responded from movement from so far away before! maybe there is hope for him yet?!