clam help, broken shell????

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Reef Queen, Sep 17, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reef Queen

Reef Queen Feather Duster

I was just doing some nightime viewing and noticed my little blue maximas shell seems to be broke...one side looks like it is gaping or not held together anymore or something! I will try to get a pic in the morning...but in the mean time heres a drawing i did...i am no artists so please excuse my lack of skills in the paint department...[​IMG]

what is this? Is he a goner? can i fix this somehow? i know it was not like this earlier because i did a waterchange and also i added calcium because it was a tad low, i only used one capful (which would only treat 50 gallons and i have a 120 with a 30 gal sump) idk if that had anything to do with it??? Oh i also used boiling water on some colonial hrdroids but i used less then a teaspoon and it was on the opposite side of the tank???can i somehow use a gumband and put him back together? he still responds to motion (withdraws a little as usual) but i do not know what this means in the long run! Ive grown attached to this particular fiance impluse buy and would rather not loose him if i can save him! Any info would be greatly appreciated because google has been no help! again sorry about my lack or skills...hopefully you guys can get what im trying (and failing) to draw!

OH also this drawing is from the top down, not the side incase you were wondering lol

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

The have an area on the underside where the shell seperates in kind of a tear drop shape. It's where their foot is. The clam should be upright and sitting on that area.

4. Reef Queen

oh yes but this is different, we have had this guy for months and i have never seen this before...it seriously looks like his shell was ripped open on the one side...but idk how...nothing fell on him, i didnt move him or even touch him, and nothing in my tank could even do that! he didnt even move himself...its like hes just falling apart...but how can a, by all appearences, healthy clam just...break???

5. Reef Queen

Here i just snapped these if they help at all, its the best i could do with just the moonlights and dinning room light on...i didnt want to dissrupt everyone sleep patterns on top of everyhting else by turning the MH on!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

see how the right side looks like its seperated? also the mantle is withdrawn on that side...what should i do????

6. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Oh wow. I can't help, I've never seen that happen before. Sorry.

Does it extend it's mantle like normal?

Hope it turns out good for you. I'd be crushed if I lost my Crocea.

7. Reef Queen

Yea i am at a loss too! I dont know yet if he will extend his mantle normally yet because he usually doesnt extend it at night anyway...hopefully it wont look so bad in the morning when the lights are on!!! I just dont understand how it could have happened! My fiance is going to be POed when he wakes up because this was his fav part of the tank...if i cannot figure out what this is or if it will heal on its own i am going to try loosely gum banding him together and see if that helps...i hope it will heal by itself like his mantle does...he got nipped once a few months back by my hippo (a pellet fell on him and Lord forbid a piece of food escapes Delvis) but that healed up within a few days! ugh i swear if i didnt have bad luck i would have no luck at all!!!! ::)

8. Click Here!

9. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Good luck to you. I hate t hear this. I seem to always have bad luck as well lol

10. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

He probably just didn't like that side of his shell....I do that all the time...

Sorry it was your Fiances favorite clam......but shouldn't he have another favorite clam to try and impress....? Just tell him that's what happens with some salt water animals when they don't have ___(fill in the blank with what you want to add to your filtration system or tank in general) and off to the LFS or, the on line store you Go......Have Fun and don't forget to thank 55GFowlr for your new toys....8)

11. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Lol, that is way to funny. Honestly that is how I got my CuC though. My wife started talking to a friend of hers about my tank lol, and then she told me I could place my order with reefcleaners.org lol.

12. Reef Queen

Oh crap i needed this laugh...it has been a long day of cleaning the house and then the tank and now this, and i really needed a good laugh lol! And i have been begging him to help me build some DIY things since he is very handy...and well, im a girl...so maybe he will feel bad for me and our gum banded clam and make the ATO for me that ive been begging for help with hahaha...he IS off tomorrow...maybe if i do my sad face i can get him a buildin' hahaha