Clam has tear, please help!

Discussion in 'Clams' started by pixarpixie777, Oct 5, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pixarpixie777

pixarpixie777 Plankton

Hi- I'm new to SW environment, I bought a Squamosa clam months ago and it's been doing fine. Last night, it expanded and then I noticed a "tear" in the tissue between the two shells (at the top)

Is this normal and/or is my clam going to die? will the hole heal itself? Any suggestions and thoughts much appreciated!

2. Click Here!

3. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

simplest question first...you know clams are supposed to have one or two holes right? lol is it another one in addition to the ones that are supposed to be there?

4. pixarpixie777

pixarpixie777 Plankton

LOL - yes, i see the other holes but this is an actual "tear" in the tissue. Almost seems like he expanded too much and ripped a hole in it. I'll try to take a pic tonite.

Will it be ok?

5. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

I dont think I've ever heard of a clam tearing its own mantle before. I have heard if there not getting enough light they will stretch their mantle waaaay out to try and grab as much light as possible. What kind and how much light do you have, how old is the tank, and do you have any angels, butterflys, or anything else that might nip at a clam?

~Will.

6. browntrout

browntrout Fire Shrimp

I agree, that seems really abnormal for a clam to tear by himself.

7. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

If you can post a pic, that would be helpful. Sometimes clams have a "rip" in them that almost looks like it was cut with zig-zag scissors. This a normal opening for a clam. My squamosa certainly has one (although my crocea does not). So, as I said, a pic would help us here to determine normal from abnormal.

8. Click Here!

9. pixarpixie777

pixarpixie777 Plankton

thanks everyone! i'll post a pic tonite, i have a blue tang, chromis and a clownfish - that's about it. The lighting is dual daylight and actinic (i have a 24G Aquapod) Possibly the Tang may have nipped but where the "tear" is, it does look like it was cut with zig zag scissors.

Hoping this is normal! :)

10. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

Goodness! You have a tang in a 24gallon tank? It will need to go back to the LFS as the tank is much too small for it.
    As for the lights, I don't believe that the lights you have are enough for a clam. I could be wrong, if I am some one please correct me.
    How long has the tank been set up?

11. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I fully agree about the tang, sounds like a Hippo Tang which if not already outgrow that tank very quickly.

To the clam issue, a pic will really help. However, my initial thought was that those "kit" tanks do not have strong enough stock lighting for a clam. Clams require very high lighting and pristine and stable water parameters.

12. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

I'm far from a clam expert but if the lights are PC like I think they are, then it is possible to keep a clam. There is a site, Melev's reef, and he has a blue tridicana maxima living under PC lights. So it's possible.