Clam Guardian?

Discussion in 'Clams' started by coral reefer, Dec 4, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Hi all,
    I bought a beautiful blue Teardrop Squamosa about 6 months ago. It is roughly 5" long right now and is doing very well.
    A couple weeks ago I purchased a nice 3"cinnamon Tomato Clown to add some color to my 125 gallon reef tank. I have a total of four Tridacna's at this point in time and would like to get a nice black Maxima eventually.
    Anyway enough of the small talk. Reason for writing this thread is due to an unusual symbiotic relationship, one which I don't recall ever seeing, hearing or reading about.
    My Tomato Clown is involved with my large Squamosa in a relationship much similar to that of a Clown and a host anemone. My Clown hoovers right above the mantle of my Clam pretty much all the time except for feeding time. Now, I know how Clams are as far as stress and irritation goes(pretty easy to get stressed out and close their mantle-ultimately ending up dead). The funny thing as I watch this whole scenario is my Tridacna doesn't think twice or seem to mind at all, even with the Tomato Clown touching my Clam's mantle(sounds like a personal problem-huh?!!-hahah)!
    Anyway, I just find this amuzing and fairly uncommon and am wondering if anyone else has come across anything like this??????

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I've got a pair of perculas that are nesting in a gigas clam.....we must have some funky stuff in our water or something!

4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Yeah, what's up with that? Did you get your clams at Puppy Center Annik?
    I would have though that the Tomato Clown would stress my Clam due to rubbing against it or decresing the light on its mantle, but the clam is very content to have it as a host, I guess!

5. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Small talk is good :)

osCommerce

A picture is worth a thousand words :)

Jim

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I get all my clams from Just Phish, actually. The gigas doesn't seem to mind the nuzzling but I could be completely wrong.:)

7. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I just baught a Derasa Clam from JP! As well as some Zoos and Astrea Snails!

8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I'd worry more of the gigas clam clamping down on them myself sushi :eek: I figure they are on their own once they hit the water and they know their neighbors better then we do.

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator