Clam going pale

Discussion in 'Clams' started by devlzluv, Jul 13, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. devlzluv

devlzluv Ritteri Anemone

Well After he prolly fell at least 6 times (gd mexicans) I have him set in the middle level of my tank on a nice rock were its nearly impossible to for him to fall. Hes lost alot of color, unknown if from falling or what not, I know the lights are efficient to have him (t5ho, bulbs only 3 months old) All levels are within check and things all over my tank are healthy. Could it be from the stress of falling so much or what, Idk what to do, it doesnt looked bleached as a sps would, it has blue color but its a sky blue pale color almost not that nice blue that it once had. Any help is appreciated.

Edit, just check my SG and its at 1.028 could that be the cause effecting it?

2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

It very well could be the stress from falling so many times. It could also be a combination of that and the fact your lighting, while decent, isn't the best for clams. That's not a lot of light over that size tank. For right now, I wouldn't move it, as it seems stressed enough, but you may want to try to move it high up in the tank at some point.

4. devlzluv

devlzluv Ritteri Anemone

4 36inch t5ho not enough? I have a rbta at the bottom of my tank and couple sps's near the bottom and they all grow well. I would have never thought my lights would be insufficient espically with good quality bulbs.

5. aquariaman

aquariaman Pajama Cardinal

I am pretty sure it is from the stress!!! Dont touch it or move it and keep the lights on a consistent time period for a week and you will start to see him come back. They are not the most hardiest coral ever but i think if you fell off a cliff many times i would be a little stressed too!! :)

6. devlzluv

devlzluv Ritteri Anemone

lol ya never thought about me fallign off a cliff, hes still really responsive and reacts very fast, not slow like ive seen other clams that were dying, his mantle extends out and hangs over his shell just doesnt want to fully open himself yet. Ill keep an eye on him and pick up some phyto to feed the tank.

7. aquariaman

aquariaman Pajama Cardinal

going in the right direction!!!

8. Click Here!

9. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

i use 4x T5s and im successfully keeping a clam. When i ripped a load of xenia out the other day i had actually noticed how much it had grown. I was rather impressed.

10. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

** cough** clams are not corals **cough**

but yes. He is probably stressed from the falls. Just leave him where he is for a day or 2 and then move him to a high spot where he gets a lot of light. 8)

1 person likes this.
  11. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

Id just like to add, i dont think they are brilliantly hardy either. Not the most difficult, but certainly not the easiest.

12. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

4x36 on a 65 gallon?

I run 4x54 on a 55 and would call that moderate/high. My clam was pale when it was midway in the tank.

I'm with GM on this one.

I run 454's and Indigo Sun btw.