Clam for my tank? good or bad.

Discussion in 'Clams' started by Zoanthids21, Dec 26, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

I have a 14g biocube, and i do weekly water changes in it, all params have been stable for a while the tank is VERY easy to deal with. I have the stock PC lighting over it but i thought since the tank is somewhat shallow a clam may be okay in it.

Whats your opinion on it? it will probably be a derasa.

2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

It might be ok, but IMO, the stock lighting on those is not too good. I don't now if I would do that. Also, keep in mind that Derseas get pretty big relatively quickly and I think it could outgrow your tank or monopolize all of the available space.

4. Zoanthids21

I would be okay if it outgrew, i would probebly just replace it. But i want to make sure it would be okay.

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I think it would work out fine. Just remember to change out your bulbs every 6 to 9 months and monitor ca/alk levels. Clams suck that ca like no tomorrow.

:)

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

When you replace the bulbs buy UVL brand. They have an internal reflector and should direct much more light into the tank.

7. Zoanthids21

OKay, i have to get new bulbs in 2-3 more months so i might get them now since i have the money.

I am just worried about getting clam because of it hogging all of the alk and calc. But if i keep up 1 week WC's will i be good? i wont have to worry about dosing or anything?

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If you keep up the water changes no you do not have to dose. As the clam gets larger and if the tank develops a lot of corailline algae than you may have to consider supplemental ca and buffering if the levels drop significantly between water changes.

10. Zoanthids21

Okay, i am still gunna wait on the clam...I am not a very good doser yet. But coraline algae is already starting to take off and the tank is getting VERY full so ill hold off for a bit until i read up some more on clams.

11. offensetaken

offensetaken Montipora Digitata

I agree with above posts. I think you'll be ok as long as it is a Derasa as they are not a light demading as other clams. ;)