Clam foot

Discussion in 'Clams' started by ermano, Apr 6, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

Hey guys,

I picked up a t. maxima clam the other day and put it on the higher 1/3rd of the tank. When I placed it on the rock, it kept on falling off. I got worried and just placed it on the sand. I have had a clam before. it was another t. maxima and did perfectly fine on the sand under t5's. BUT I had a small flat piece of rock underneath it onto which it could take hold onto. I dont have anymore pieces like that and can't find any at the LFS. I do have some "aquascape epoxy" though (the stuff that cures underwater and is colored purple). I've read somewhere that you can take a small bit of that and mold it into a disc and place it underneath the sand and it would attach itself onto the disc. I dont know if i should try this? or try placing it on the rocks again? Any ideas?

2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

How you are doing it is fine. Let the clam attach itself on its own. Then, you can move the clam where you want to but be careful with the light intensity difference. I have done this with my Green and Blue Crocea clam with great results!

4. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

Is there anything I should watch out for? Because right now I believe it has made a decent attachment to the glass. Could I slowly take it off and place the "epoxy disc" underneath for it to attach to?

Thanks for the quick reply CR!

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

You're going to have to cut the byssal threads to remove it now that it has attached itself to the glass.

6. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

hmph...i'll see what I can do. I don't want to damage it too badly, preferably not all. For future reference, is there a way to ensure the clam stays put on the rocks? How long does it usually take for a clam to plant it's foot?

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

If you try to pull the clam off, it will damage it alot more than if you cut the threads so whatever you do, do not try to remove it without cutting the byssal threads.

As for ensuring that the clam stays put, nothing you can really do there unless you have a really flat piece of rock where the clam can remain steady enough to feel "comfortable" putting down its foot. Not sure how long it can take for that to happen but I suppose it depends on whether or not the clam feels that it's in an ideal place to do so.

8. Click Here!

9. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

When cutting the byssal threads, it is essential to cut them as far away from the clam as possible to reduce the likelihood of injuring or even killing your clam!!!!!

10. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

Couldn't you go under the foot with a straight razor and just scrape it off of the glass instead of cutting?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Yes.

12. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

I just got one yesterday and I have him sitting on eggcrate until I see how he reacts to my lighting. I wouldn't want him planted too high and get bleached, or too low and starve to death. He has his byssal threads and that egg looking thing hanging around looking for something to plant on. Has anyone put their clam on a piece of tile to make it easier to move if needed?