Clam Coloring Question...

Discussion in 'Clams' started by RedGambit, Jul 13, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

As we all know, Clams are one of the harder things in this hobby to basically get to look the same when you buy them. I understand the different kind of lights, bulbs sand all that play into affect when you purchase a clam.

Anyways, My mother purchased a clam from Saltwater Fish | Buy Saltwater Fish | Exotic Salt Water Fish - Reef Hot Spot , Fully aware it wasnt a wysiwyg clam. the clam was labled 4-5" squamosa with blue spots. Regardless, get the clam, the Coloration Pattern is from a different region (compared to the picture). And the Clam has green dots/pale yellow spots. In water and out. Side view to top down view. Anyways Mom called talked to them, they then talked to me and made me take some pictures and submit them.

Mind you I have a Green/Blue/Golds/Purples and other hints of colors in my Maximas and Derasa's. And the Squamosa's Green/Yellowish dots Match the Green on one of my Maximas from. all views.

Regardless, I just got a response from them in email and they made me sound like a liar.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

wow that really stinks! did you try to different lighting on the clam.. say full lights and actinics to see if any other colors come out?

4. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Yes even for giggles I threw up my 14,000k 150W mH over the tank in the location it was in and the thing still looks green and yellow!

5. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I dunno. All I know is once I ordered a very green maxima from DD, and it looked light blue in my tank. So I do know lighting matters. But I don't know about your situation. Sorry you're unhappy :(

6. crank2211

crank2211 Purple Spiny Lobster

Can we see the pics?

7. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

the link doesnt work for me..
    sorry to hear about your troubles..
    what was their response after seeing the pics you sent?

8. Click Here!

9. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

maybe change in its enviroment, lighting, water parms, etc. hopefully in next couple weeks it may gain those colors back?