clam and copperband - bad idea?

Discussion in 'Clams' started by dirtysumpguy, Nov 28, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dirtysumpguy

dirtysumpguy Plankton

I've had my copperband butterfly for a few years now and it's doing great - keeps the feather dusters out of my main tank and has cleared out all of the aptasia.

I would like to get a clam, but I'm hesitant with a butterfly in the tank - has anyone had any experience with copperbands and clams?

2. Click Here!

3. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

I have a copperband in a tank that has a 6" Crocea and an 18" Squamosa and haven't had a problem in all the years they've been together.

4. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

From what I have been told....it is one of hit or miss! Most experience reefers cringe when I talk about getting a copperbanded with my clams. I was told that the smaller ones will leave them be, but when they get bigger might turn on them.

I do have to say.....there is no absolute safe reef fish. I had a blue hippo tang and a sailfin decide they liked the taste of my clams, then my open brain, and then turned their attention to my acans. Along the way they taught other fish to become coral crunchers!

5. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Hit or miss type combo. A friend of mine lost 4 clams to one.

6. dirtysumpguy

dirtysumpguy Plankton

Since mine has grown pretty big, I guess I will save my money (and a clams life:) and just get another frag!

thanks everyone!

7. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

I recently had a copperband clams combo and I will say I cringed when I saw that pointy mouthy poked into the clams. Hed poke and swim away. But nothing more than that.

Clams are well today. My CBB died about a week and a half ago.

8. Click Here!

9. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

Totally hit or miss, i had my first CBB and it was fine, it died due to a power outage, second one would nip at clam.