Cichlids with ich

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by contractkiller, May 31, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. contractkiller

contractkiller Plankton

My cichlids are showing the first stage of ich, rubbing on the rocks/decor. I have not started seeing white spots on them yet but im afraid ill wake up tomorrow morning and theyll be covered in them. I have a red tail cat with them and i was wondering if API's quick cure would hurt the catfish. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    Jesse

2. Click Here!

3. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Hi Jesse,

I don't know whats in "API's quick cure" --- but any Cu in it, don't use if you have any snails in your tank (unless you want to get rid of them).

Should not hurt other fish, if it is good for one type.

Don't do anything until you confirm infestation and sick fish. Your fish may just be telling you they are not happy with current water params, food or something else...

Last edited: Jun 3, 2007
  4. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

I use a QT tank and treat with aquarium salt to a SG of 1.002. I then raise the temp of the main tank to 86F and leave it with out fish for 3 weeks.

5. contractkiller

contractkiller Plankton

Thanks for all your help. I kept treating them and I didnt lose a fish.

6. djnzlab1

djnzlab1 Aiptasia Anemone

one small thought

HI,
    I have had ich in the past, its usally a problem when the temp fluctuates to much or the carbonate is used up,
    Do you have any crushed coral in the gravel , many times the carbonate buffer is used up by bacteria in the filters and the gravel, any PH swing is very hard on fish and cause NH3 spike if it drops to fast and there's alot of waste in the water and the filter.
    My OP 95 octagon has a old saltwater sump with a filter pad most large fish mum gets in the filter pads so rinsing the pad weekly help clear the water and remove and free floating mum.
    Another trick is to shut down all the filters while feeding.
    many fish gill rake the food and there's alot of that food dust in the water column. so I use things like giant diano's to eat whast to small for the 6 and 7 in africans.
    I have a red fin PLeco for the last 3 years he's fat on the waste from the feeding.
    Another trick is to feed food that mostly biologically freindly to the water column, many food are to rich things like cichlid food will foul a filter in about 3 days. I have used that floating Koi food for cichlids primary diet for the last 20 years its very filter freindly floats so they can find it ( remember to pause the pumps I use a power strip for this). and feed what they need no more.
    If your feeding a high protein diet many large fish will foul the undergravels to the point they are useless, and any pads will need frequent rinsing to filter.
    Finally , i have a small marine canister filter for carbon, large fish pee alot and thats the best way to keep the water clear. and when the carbon is used up it becomes a good place for bacteria to breed in the canisters so I don't change it but every 6 mos or so or when the water become a little yellow
    Never add extra salt to a system with carbon it can relase the organic trapped there.
    Doug

Sorry for the longpost But I wanted to be sure you had all my tried and true facts.

7. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

whats the update?

did turn out to be ich? there are many reasons why your fish were behaving as they did.

and what are your water parameters? including you kh levels.

and what kind of cichlids do you have?

8. Click Here!

9. rcupak

rcupak Astrea Snail

ich treatment

I just finished treating my tank (55 w/asst cichlids) using Aquari-Sol, it does contain Cu so it's not compatible with ANY types of inverts but works great for all other apps and treats velvet and rot. The drawback is you have to remove the carbon filtration altogether until your treatment is complete. There is a product called Copper-Safe that is used with carbon filtration and it does work great. Good luck....