Cichlids mix?

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by CG, Jan 14, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CG

CG Bristle Worm

Hey i was just wondering if you could mix cichlids and other freshwater fish, or if cichlids are aggressive or need different water, like oscars do.

2. Click Here!

3. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Depends on the cichlid. Angelfish are cichlids and I have them in a community tank.

4. Scuba

Scuba Fire Shrimp

5. CG

CG Bristle Worm

whew, that was a quick answer. thanks ya'll

6. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

No problem. What fish are you looking at?

7. somethingfishy

somethingfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

If you have any questions about africans let me know

8. Click Here!

9. scotty

scotty Plankton

If you are looking at Malawi mbuna, I would strongly suggest that you don't mix as you will end up with a lot of dead other fish. The only things you can possibly put in with them are Clown loaches etc. and maybe Bala sharks. CA cichlids will get hammered.

10. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

Well I used to have 2 cichlid tanks before going with SW. I will tell you even angelfish can be a problem in a community tank. They always suggest adding the angels last because if you add them first and then add other fish they become aggressive over territory. Cichlids are amazing and second best to saltwater but cichlids are territorial and very aggressive. You can't even mix all cichlids. You should not mix african with south american. I did but only the less aggressive types. In one tank I watched 2 cichlids slowly yet aggressively batter another cichlid to death. The next morning it was floating and when cichlids breed..watch out.
    If you go with cichlids you should definitely read on the different ones, temprament and compatability. You can't put any regular cichlid with convicts, they'll kill them. If you put a demasoni with a frontosa well the demasoni stays around 2 inches and the fronts dinner.

In a short story, I would never mix any other tropical fish with cichlids besides angelfish. Cichlids will eventually kill plecos and even loaches.

11. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

They all will eat anything they can get into their mouths period from Angels to Oscars there has to be a Z one I just can't recall it now LOL

12. tmgrash

tmgrash Astrea Snail

african with s. American

Another problem other than the aggression of cichlids is that african cichlids are usually from hard water areas with high Ph and south americans just opposite. Most S. American cichlids that are kept in hard high ph water will not fair well and usually develop hole in the head disease.

Travis Grasha