Chrysophytes Outbreak

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Ryland, May 30, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

I wasnt sure where to post this so I put it here in ASAP. About 2 weeks ago I noticed some white fuzzy looking stuff growing on my live rock in several places. I didnt think much of it. Tonight I noticed my tank had a bit of a white haze to it. Upon closer inspection I found the white fuzz has begun to take over my tank. Nearly every piece of live rock is covered in this stuff. Very short approximatley 1/8th of an inch long but covering all live rock as if it were grass. All corals are doing very well. Lots of growth from my SPS and seamingly no negative effects on anything. What is this stuff and when do I start to panic? My tank is SPS dominated.
    Parameters
    CA 450
    ALK steady at 9.8
    MAG 1200
    PH 8.2
    AM 0
    Phos undetectable
    Nitrate undetectable
    Nitrite 0

Pictures are coming. Thank you

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

4. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Corailline you hit it on the head here. I think it is Chrysophytes. I am posting some pictures. What should be my plan of action? Did I mention I have AMAZING growth from my SPS under my DIY LED's? Thanks!

5. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Here are two pics. The best I could hastily get. Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Corailline

Oooo amazing sps growth cool.

Now a remedy is an issue. A couple schools of thoughts on that.

One is treat like dino, another is do everything you can to eliminate any source of diatoms. Some say egg crate can contribute to it's growth. Over all most say it had to run it's course and use whatever nutrients that are feeding it up.

A couple members here have had a go around with it, so I would change the title of the thread and get their attention.

Hope someone else chimes in with better information.

:)

7. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Thank you for your help. As always you are spot on. Much appreciated. How is your tank these days? Any random oddities pop up? Kinda like I have every other month! ;-)

8. Click Here!

9. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Mod please move my thread to Algaes. Thank you

10. Corailline

No problem.

Tank is stalled right now, same old story, busy with life. All corals are doing great. Scape sucks though, well it fell apart right around the time the seam sprang a leak, soooo any who corals are in a ghetto rigged aquapod for now.

You might want to check out some articles by Randy Holmes dealing with dino, I believe they are in Reefbuilders, just google it. Also RC had some interesting threads awhile back on the topic.

It's been so long since I added anything to my tank that all oddities have long since been discovered, knock on wood.