Choosing a Skimmer

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by PghSteeler, Nov 28, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Hey guys want to buy a skimmer for my upcoming 90gal build. Not sure on sump size will prob be a tank with a 3ftx1ft footprint though

Looking at the Reef Octopus and do not want to spend a fortune but Im not going to skimp and get a crappy one either just to rebuy. The tank will by a mixed reef mosty lps probably with some sps and stocked with somewhere around 8-10fish depending on size of fish and selection obviosuly.

Reef Octopus 4" NWB-110Dimensions: 10" x 6-3/4" x 19-3/4" high
    Powered by 1 Aquatrance 1000 pump at 250 gph
    Recommended sump water level: 6"-7-3/4"
    Rated for aquariums up to 100 gallons

Reef Octopus 6" NWB-150
    Dimensions: 12" x 8-1/2" x 22-1/8" high
    Powered by 1 OTP 2000 pump at 500 gph
    Recommended sump water level: 6"-7-3/4"
    Rated aquariums up to 150 gallons

Im leaning towards the large one rated for 150 gallons, they also make a NWB-200 but thats a little too large. SaltySupply has t hem on a good sale for 175 or 206 bucks and they have the newer models which replaced the OTP pump with an Aquatrance pinwheel pump whic changed the rated aquarium size to 130 and 210gal.

So what do you guys think? Good bet or is it going to be a crappy temp until I dish out 500 bucks for a better model?
    Which size should I go with?
    And also should I run the skimmer during the tank cycle and immediatly at startup or should I wait until Im a few months in?

2. Click Here!

3. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Well since no one has any opinions I just pulled the trigger on the larger one and got the nwb 150. Great deal at $206 with black friday deals and seems to be better than any other skimmers in this price point. SHould be able to handle a good bioload, states with light bioload it is capable over a 210gal reef, mediun is a 150gal reef, and heavy is a 120gal reef.

4. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

I had great luck with my 6" RO skimmer. I had to replace a pump after 18 months, but it worked reliably and well otherwise.