Choosing a light

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by PghSteeler, Feb 19, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

So I decided to just spend the money from the start and take awhile before setting up a tank instead of buying whatever I can afford all at once to set up by first reef asap. I went from setting up a 36gal FWLRO tank to a 36gal bowfront reef setup. I have my Heater, a HOB filter, 2 powerheads, and possbily dry rock and dry sand picked out. Now I need a light and have increased by budget to $200. Im thinking either T5 HO or LED. Since I do nbot plan on havign a sump or fuge I double I will be able to keep any SPS but am hoping to have softies and LPS such as different mushrooms, frogsparn, bubbletip corals, xenias, etc.

What is the best light I can get f or around 100-200? I was looking a a Coralife quad T5 HO fixture with LED moonlights. Any opinions on these? they are around 200 on amazon. I do nto want to voerlight the tank and have uncontrollable algae

2. Click Here!

3. Inertiatic

Inertiatic Bubble Tip Anemone

Well for T5s most of the quality fixtures are in the 200 to 300 range. If you want one of these, I would check Craigslist or a local reefing forum and try to find a used one. I've seen some awesome deals. If you want something new but decent, check out fishneedit.com. I have one and love it, can't beat the price.

Either way, you're going to want to upgrade the bulbs in the fixture you get. They go for about $20 to $30 a piece, so factor that in the price.

4. ZC42

ZC42 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Sry I posted about a light I was willing to. Sell, but realized it was 6" too long for your tank.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  5. PghSteeler

I would be ok witrh a 36inch light would jsut mean I need to do the 46gal bow instead of the 36 :) makes it easy to explain the need to upgrade size to the wife I have 2 Hydor Koralia 425gph powerheads and a fluval e200 heater rated to 65gal so the flow should still be good enough for a 46 right?

6. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

for softies and lps you should be close to enough if ya get them aimed right! But thats cutting it real close! I'll let the cube guys answer that far ya better!

7. ZC42

ZC42 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Haha glad I could help make it bigger. I own a 46 bf right now. The light is a 2 bulb glo t5 HO system, I have had it for 2 months, practically brand new, looks great, runs cool, sleek, comes with a timer. Check out my other thread and PM me if you're interested. Oh and I'm looking for 75 plus shipping

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

The Coralife should be more than sufficient for your needs. Just change out bulbs in 3 months as the OEM quality is not the best.

10. PghSteeler

I was thinking I need a quad T5 HO light instead of a dual T5 HO to keep corals alive. Would a dual T5 HO be ok for softies and lps? I know deep blue makes some with LEDs

11. PghSteeler

If down the road I wanted, would the coralife be sifficient for SPS as well?

12. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Yes

Yes as long as you place them high in the tank.