Chinese Algae Eater compatibility with african cichlids?

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Bubbalover, Dec 14, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bubbalover

Bubbalover Plankton

Are chinese algae eaters compatible with african cichlids? Would it help the algae eater if i added some driftwood would that help?

2. Click Here!

3. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

Which African Cichlids? chinese Algae eaters are much more aggressive then plecos. Mnumba eat Algae so not sure why you would need one. they could to to aggressive for Peacocks

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

CAE don't need wood. As they get larger they start eating the slime off of other fish and have been known ot suck the guts out of fish.

5. Bubbalover

Bubbalover Plankton

I have 3 peacocks a johanni 2 zebras 2 electric yellow a convict and 2 parrots. I have had 4 plecos in the past year and they have killed 2 of them(one died of ich and another was on its last leg when i brought him home). Ive just been looking for a more agressive algae eater that will stand up for itself. If this helps all my cichlids are 3 inches to 2 inches.

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Just get a large pleco, one about 6" long. It should handle itself fine.

7. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

what a strange assortment of South american and African cichlids. How big is the tank and how does it work for you?

8. Click Here!

9. Bubbalover

Bubbalover Plankton

It works perfectly fine for me. They all get along really wel in my 75 gallon tank. The dominent fish is the blue zebra and he keeps everyone in line especially the johannni which doesnt like my 2 new peacocks and orange zebra. I picture my fish as pets as with a weird assortment of cichlids you get to know their personalities better. Ive found that you dont have to have all mbuna or all peacocks or not mix south americans with africans. I believe ive had success becuase they were introduced to each other while they are still young

10. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

the chinese will hold its own in most cichlid aquariums.